Maybe Transmission Fault?!

atrovato

• Member For: 9y 28d

hey guys, so just picked up my bf tornado zf 6, its all standard, problem im having is when I put it under load LIKE A FAIR BOOT the gearbox seems to be engaging neutral and then drops back in to gear, dash lights come on mainly ABS , then the speedo drops out ,

have had it on a snap on scanner and come up with U1900 (ABS CAN communication) and U2514 (Missing message), these codes only seem to be popping up in engine, cluster and abs modules but not transmission ,

this is happening and all drive types, like normal D, performance and semi auto..

wandering if anyone has had this happen or know of anyone that has had it happen before, any input is much appreciated

Edited by atrovato

• Member For: 11y 3d

The common thing in your post appears to be ABS related. Speedo uses abs sensors, Abs fault code, ABS light. I would assume the ZF box would have a feed from them too, happy to be corrected.

I'd be trusting the equipment and looking at the ABS sensors.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 24d

I also cleaned my ABS sensors at first trying to fix it - no go.

My guess is that a faulty coil pack was arcing and caused a spike in the CAN Bus. The part that really worried me was the ZF jumping into neutral especially as it would only do it under load (plus the speedo cutting out and ABS lights etc) Since replacing all coil packs over 12 months ago it has not missed a beat. If you have a few K's on the car it's worth replacing them in any case.

• 9 months later...
  • Member For: 9y 28d

okay so after ford having the car and testing it they snaped the input shaft and the transmission had to be replaced , was under warranty for paid the extra for a built one , got the car back from them saying the problem had been fixed and that it was purely the transmission , once again ford has failed at there job , and was still doing it after a 7k bill that was forward onto the car yard I bought the car off and then I took it upon myself as you said I work at autobarn and bought a cheap nasty set of coild and tested them that night and success not one fault so I ran around on them for a few weeks just to make sure it had fixed my problem and I then made ford give me a set of genuine coils , you could see the cracks down the side out 5 of them , all is good now car makes 419rwkw on e85 daily , cheers for your help

• Like 4

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Excellent outcome apart from the fck around by Ford. I stand by the moto...If you want it done right, do it yourself!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 8y 24d

Hi, 

I have an FG 2008 xr6 turbo. ZF six speed locks into third gear either in normal or performance mode. Nobody seems to know what it is. I turn the engine off and restart and fault clears for several days sometimes. Took it to Ford in Bayswater Victoria who charged me $168.00 and advised me that they could not fault it. 'Customer to monitor'.....Great.

Can anyone out there please tell me what the problem might be please?. Nobody, even Ford cannot tell me.. Oh, the small screen pops up with a graphic of a gear and says 'tansmission fault' with a small triangle containing the number one.

Thank You

Mike Evans.