2006 Fpv Tornado F6 Ute - Cleanup & Resurrection

• Member For: 15y 9m 12d

full respray needed ,then it will look like new . hope it goes well at Ford

Yep, this is going to turn out really, really really, really good... or really, really, really bad.

Ford's decision will result in quite a huge effect on the value of the car.

• Member For: 11y 4m 22d

Yeah wow, didn't realise the paint was so bad.
In the pictures I never really took close notice of anything or noticed it until the thread with the pics of the chips missing.

Hopefully they fix it up for ya mate, should be a sweet ride with the work you've put into it if they do it.

Yeah wow, didn't realise the paint was so bad.

In the pictures I never really took close notice of anything or noticed it until the thread with the pics of the chips missing.

Hopefully they fix it up for ya mate, should be a sweet ride with the work you've put into it if they do it.

Likewise - despite owning the car and having spent dozens of hours in the carport working on it, I just hadn't had a proper close-up look at the paint.

It was always something that I'd get around to later (ie last). The obsession has been on stuff that I deal with as a driver (ie interior and general mechanical stuff).

Now I realise that no matter what I do, the Shockwave paint is going to be an ongoing problem unless the car is stripped back and resprayed.

Ford's response is going to be crucial.

Monday, 4th May, 2015

I have been looking for a bargain-priced set of six piston Brembo calipers for a while. When a set listed on Gumtree dropped from $2,200 to $1,800 I figured I’d better go have a look. Some haggling and waving of cash resulted in the acquisition of the prized Brembo setup for the very acceptable cost of $1,650. I was actually looking for something a lot cheaper and in bad condition so that I could save some money by rebuilding them myself, but this deal suits me just fine.

They are actually from an FG and my car is a BF. If I can’t make these fit my BF then I’ll have to go looking for a set of BF brackets, but I’m pretty sure that with some swapping around of mounting brackets, piping and bleed nipples that I’ll get these to fit properly.

Although the calipers were covered in brake dust, I could tell as soon as I saw them that they were in excellent condition. Brembo calipers suffer from the clear lacquer coat fading off, and there is none of that with these ones.

I’m not fussed about the disc rotors - I’ve already got a brand new set of DBA4000 rotors to go on the car (DBA4102S). They were a lucky find on eBay for $300 delivered.

I’ve also got a set of four piston rear Brembo calipers, so the Tornado will end up with six piston front and four piston rear calipers.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_01_4_5_2015.jpg

FPV_Tornado_Ute_02_4_5_2015.jpg

Those disc rotors will probably get resold with the existing four piston calipers. I’ll be getting them checked and machined before doing so, so I got out the usual drill and wire brush to clean the inside of each disc rotor so that they sit flush for machining.

This creates a lot of dust, so these days I’m also using a Ryobi battery powered fan to help prevent me from breathing in that dust. This is working well - normally the dust sits in the air where I’m sitting and I’m always moving my head around trying to avoid breathing in the dust. With the fan on this is no longer a problem.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_03_4_5_2015.jpg

The cleaned-up inside of one of the disc rotors.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_04_4_5_2015.jpg

I was curious who these discs were made by, so went around the outside of one of the rotors with the drill and brush to try and find a company name or brand. This is also where disc manufacturers specify the minimum thickness of the discs (29mm minimum for this one). Turns out that they are Brembo discs.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_05_4_5_2015.jpg

I went over the calipers with some CT18 degreaser and a brush. After rinsing off with water, the calipers looked almost new after this.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_06_4_5_2015.jpg

I was extremely pleased with they almost-new condition that they’re in.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_07_4_5_2015.jpg

As mentioned, these came off an FG Falcon but will be going on my BF. The part number for the FG mounting brackets is M6-FG-355-BKT-LH (and RH for the other side).

FPV_Tornado_Ute_08_4_5_2015.jpg

The callipers also have Goodridge braided lines.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_09_4_5_2015.jpg

They’ve got almost-new Bendix DB1845 pads in them, but I’ll be using Hawk Performance ceramic pads (part number HB616Z.607). I’ve been using Hawk ceramic pads in the 6/4 Brembo setup on my taxi for close to 500,000km now. They produce less dust than other pads that I’ve tried, and the dust that they do produce is easier to wash off the wheels.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_10_4_5_2015.jpg

• Member For: 10y 5m 9d

Nice, hey do look pretty much new

I know with the pbr fronts you can just swap the brackets around rh to lh ect. if they are from a different series.

Not sure if it works on brembos.

Tuesday, 5th May, 2015

One of the numerous minor things that I hadn’t gotten around to fixing yet was the auto headlight switch. This was standard on BF and FG Falcons, but is rare on BA Falcons. There have been numerous BA wrecks in Perth lately, but not any BF ones. Actually, I'm pretty sure that the BA didn't actually have this option.

Item: Sensor Sunload
Part No: BA19E663A
Retail Price: $89.60 (for the sensor and plastic holder)

On my car, the day/night sensor had failed. I tend to use the Auto switch at night, which meant that sometimes when I parked the car at night and forgot to turn the headlight switch off the headlights would be on for a while the next day.

I finally found a replacement sensor on a Territory wreck, and at a cost which suited the budget that I had allocated for this (ie zero). I was actually buying an alternator for someone else, and got the sensor included as well.

This is the plastic holder that sits in the top of the dashboard. I was able to access it as the dashboard had been removed from the Territory wreck. The sensor sits inside this holder.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_01_5_5_2015.jpg

The sensor sitting inside the holder.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_02_5_5_2015.jpg

The sensor on its own. It’s the white part at the top that senses the light.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_03_5_5_2015.jpg

The other side of the sensor.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_04_5_5_2015.jpg

Another photo, showing the top part that senses the light.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_05_5_5_2015.jpg

With my car, when the headlight switch was on Auto during the day, the headlights were still coming on.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_06_5_5_2015.jpg

Headlights during the day. Not what I want.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_07_5_5_2015.jpg

This is where the sensor is located - in the middle of the dashboard, at the very front. It’s under the dome-shaped black plastic cap.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_08_5_5_2015.jpg

Another photo showing the sensor location.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_09_5_5_2015.jpg

Using a small flat-blade screwdriver, I was able to pry off the plastic cap to reveal the sensor.

In hindsight, I should have been more patient and tried to remove the surrounding rectangular-shaped black plastic first. However, I have large hands and getting to the sensor was difficult as a result.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_10_5_5_2015.jpg

I tried levering it out with the screwdriver, but resorted to using some needle-nose pliers. It took minimal force to get the sensor to disconnect from the wire and socket that it’s plugged into.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_11_5_5_2015.jpg

Once the old sensor was out, the new one dropped into place. I then pushed it down a bit with one finger to push it into its socket.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_12_5_5_2015.jpg

Time to test it.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_13_5_5_2015.jpg

The replacement sensor works. No more headlights during the day when on Auto.

FPV_Tornado_Ute_14_5_5_2015.jpg

• Like 1

Nice, hey do look pretty much new

I know with the pbr fronts you can just swap the brackets around rh to lh ect. if they are from a different series.

Not sure if it works on brembos.

I knew about swapping the mounting brackets over on the Brembos, but also read somewhere that the bleed nipples and pipes also need to be swapped over. Not difficult to do, although it will mean rubbing the red paint off the pipe ends (when using a flare spanner to loosen the nuts). Some touch-up paint might be required.

I might be buying another car on Thursday, so I'll wait until after then before fitting. Tornado version 2.0 will hopefully be happening.

Either way, I'm going to end up with a Tornado with a 6/4 Brembo setup. Same as what's on my taxi. Extremely pleased.

• Like 1