boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 11d Posted 15/08/14 02:14 AM Posted 15/08/14 02:14 AM Guys,The last couple of weeks the transmission on my high mileage BF Mark II XR6T (223,000KMS) has been making a whining noise when cold which goes away after five minutes of driving. (when the car warms up).The transmission was serviced at around 185,000KMS.You guys think it could be an oil issue?...Or does a transmission whine mean that death is imminent.?
gsd112 Legacy Donating Member 605 Member For: 16y 25d Gender: Male Location: Penrith Posted 15/08/14 08:50 AM Posted 15/08/14 08:50 AM Get oil level checked. Mine did it after a service and had it checked and it was 200ml odd low. Once it was topped up slight whine when cold was gone.
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 27d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 16/08/14 08:37 AM Posted 16/08/14 08:37 AM Does it whine for the whole 5 minutes continuously or is it making the noise when it's nearing a gear change or heavier throttle?The 6sp auto in my F6X has been wharring since I bought it 2yrs ago with 80k kms clock. The car is modified and I have had the gearbox flushed but refilled with Transmax Z It still did it.The only time I got it to almost stop was when I changed the battery for a new one which must have reset the gearbox's learning mode as it was only just making the noise on the odd gear change but came back after a week!I believe the wharr is a pump noise inside the gearbox but can't find enough info on the problem...
FiftyOne Legacy Donating Member 1,145 Member For: 13y 2m 29d Gender: Male Posted 16/08/14 11:55 AM Posted 16/08/14 11:55 AM Refill it. You did swap the filter right?
boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 11d Posted 16/08/14 11:57 PM Author Posted 16/08/14 11:57 PM (edited) Yeah, I even changed to the metal pan, with separate filter...It just whines through all gears and only stops once the car has warmed up...I suppose I will have to start with looking at the oil levels... Edited 16/08/14 11:58 PM by boost69
VippiN Member 94 Member For: 17y 8m 23d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide, Australia Posted 17/08/14 11:13 PM Posted 17/08/14 11:13 PM I didn't have a whine but I did have an issue with my cruise control rpm fluctuating. Only start happening after my trans cooler install. Took the car to my local trans specialist and it drank 700-800ml of life guard. No more issues after that - So it shows how sensitive they are when not full. 1
Bizkets is Drunk? Too heavy needs boost Member 5,929 Member For: 13y 1m 24d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 17/08/14 11:44 PM Posted 17/08/14 11:44 PM ^^^ mine does that to. mihht have to get it checked out.
VippiN Member 94 Member For: 17y 8m 23d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide, Australia Posted 18/08/14 02:28 AM Posted 18/08/14 02:28 AM You're in Adelaide, I went here if that helps - https://www.facebook.com/mnautos?fref=ts
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now