First Tune Advice (Change Cat Or Not).

GeGe6

• Member For: 11y 10m 20d

This has confused me a lot too, there seems to be no certain answer. All I can say is that I have a Euro 4 Cat with restrictor ring removed and the car made about 310-320rwkw, but without having driven another car with a aftermarket car I cant give a for sure answer what difference there will be.

Simon from XFT Said the Euro 4 cat is fine, even when I wanted to change it I had a 100 CPSI cat that I wanted installed he ended up sticking with the original one, the car made about 320rwkw on Paper but I'm wanting to know if there would be any gains to be had from putting a aftermarket cat in while using stock turbo, for low end power and response when you floor the gas, I asked the guys there a few times and always they said difference will be very small so from that I can understand that the Stock FG Euro 4 Cat with restrictor ring removed is good enough.

I guess only sure way is somebody who has actually had a Euro 4 Cat debunged, and then put in a aftermarket one and got the car tuned and drove it again to know of gains for sure.

I'm thinking of putting a Venom cat on my car as I'm not too happy with how the response is like at the moment but I think my issue might lie elsewhere.

When thinking that a Venom cat cost $500 it's quite a bit to pay for something when the stock cat on 2011+ Cars has proven to be quite good.

Edited by Z2TT

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 11m 12d

Did you get the dump pipe done as well?

Those 2 modifications won't necessarily add much "dyno power" but in the real world it once again should come on to boost much earlier and more torque down low

I've got a 4inch dump and cat and my g6 is one of if not the most responsive turbo cars I've ever driven

Edited by McMattyP91

• Member For: 13y 3m 21d

Well I was originally going to keep the stock cat back but I went with the X force 4th dump and cat and 3 1/2 cat back Made 285 rwkw, that may seem low but dat response is better than v8s I have owned, but the fail bay cooler was holding it back (got an insane amount of heat soak on a not so hot day) currently back at cms for a process west stage 2 core and e85 tune Anyways the zorst is louder but only if you give it a boot full. Around town with music on you can't even notice it And if you guys want any help getting parts I got all my stuff pretty damn cheap

What did you need to step to an E85 tune? aside from injectors -I have all the usual mods along with 1000cc injectors was it just fuel system changes??

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control

to be perfectly honest at my power level (330rwkw) nothing had to be changed apart from injectors....
make sure you do regular fuel filter changes though as e85 unlike petrol can dissolve water based products as well as petrochemical based ones

• Member For: 13y 3m 21d

to be perfectly honest at my power level (330rwkw) nothing had to be changed apart from injectors....

make sure you do regular fuel filter changes though as e85 unlike petrol can dissolve water based products as well as petrochemical based ones

Thanks for the response I'm also changing out an ebay cooler for a plazmaman 800hp unit and just found out my tuner has closed up shop so he can't touch up my tune. I'm a bit lost right now but if I have to have someone retune it I was considering an e85 tune but wasn't sure what I needed to change. I'm only expecting around 330 ish as well being my cars previous tune was 300.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control

Melbourne has argueably the best tuners for fgs check out the advertisers section for more info. I'm up close to Sydney and I travel for 2 hours to get to my tuner. A good tuner is the best mod you can do

Edited by McMattyP91
  • Like 2

• 570Nm @1800rpm
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

Hey Mike,

I will watch this with interest to see how you go.

From what I have seen all these cars seem to make the similar power, give or take 15rwkw with the small turbo on 98RON. I think a free flowing exhaust will help the car make more torque plus hold the power a bit longer and this is what you will feel the most on the road when driving the car.

Have a look at a MurdoK's thread that shows the difference a free flowing exhaust makes: http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/86188-fg-428rwkws/

I think people get too caught up about the pear rwkw figure. I would rather my car made 300rwkw with a 50% torque gain that I will feel on the road vs 320rwkw with a 25% torque gain.

Every car is different and the only way you will know how your car would respond it to get it tuned with OEM cat and then fit a high flow car and get it run up again to see the gains.

Cheers

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control

Some people are way to obsessed with dyno figures. They don't mean squat in the real world

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk