boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 19d Posted 15/07/13 11:34 PM Posted 15/07/13 11:34 PM Guys,Apart from misfiring, are there any other symptoms which might indicate that the coil packs need to be changed?For instance if the car feels like its lost a bit of power, and feels a bit sluggish, could that be an indicator of old and worn coil packs.The car is a BF XR6T which has just hit 200K, and I'm noticing that its feels a bit sluggish both off boost, and on boost.Seems like more effort is required to get moving rapidly...Have changed plugs, changed petrol filter, and regularly lube the boost solenoid, and boost does peak at around 5psi.Am I wasting my time and money by changing the coil packs if there is no misfiring?Could it even be a partially blocked cat?Any input is appreciated.
_Velocity_ Legacy Donating Member 2,768 Member For: 15y 5m 13d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 16/07/13 02:22 AM Posted 16/07/13 02:22 AM Stock cat? In before Ratter says take it to a mechanic instead of throwing money aimlessly at it.
JETURBO ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE... Legacy Donating Member 23,708 Member For: 18y 4m 7d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 16/07/13 02:23 AM Posted 16/07/13 02:23 AM LoL
boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 19d Posted 16/07/13 03:20 AM Author Posted 16/07/13 03:20 AM Lol...stock everything!!! BOG STOCK STANDARD...(Oh apart from the air to oil tranny cooler).200K on the odometer
Wenier Legacy Donating Member 1,736 Member For: 16y 8m 20d Gender: Male Location: Christchurch, New Zealand Posted 16/07/13 03:52 AM Posted 16/07/13 03:52 AM Coil packs breaking down will typically show under load. Say 4th gear overtaking, put foot down and car becomes sluggish, but probably react normally when lower rpm unless they are really stuffed.
boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 19d Posted 21/07/13 11:34 PM Author Posted 21/07/13 11:34 PM Guys,It seems that the reason for the sluggish performance was my petrol filter.Since my old man drives the car and barely goes over 1.5K revs cruising the suburbs he really didn't feel the difference, after changing it.I drove the car on the weekend and it feels like a different car...its no slug any more...I have previously changed the petrol filter once before, but for some reason this time it made a big difference.Now I'm thinking this might be the reason my car has pinged once or twice...Out of curiosity would a clogged filter lead to a lean condition, and trigger off the knock sensors, hence retarding the timing, and causing the car to drop power?As the car feels much stronger now off boost, and on boost, even though its still making the same PSI as it was pre filter change.
AdamIan69 Legacy Donating Member 401 Member For: 13y 5m 16d Gender: Male Location: WA Posted 22/07/13 12:55 PM Posted 22/07/13 12:55 PM I would believe so. Blocked filter means little fuel delivery and the rest of what you said will surely come.
brownhornet Legacy Donating Member 124 Member For: 18y 2m 19d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 22/07/13 01:24 PM Posted 22/07/13 01:24 PM Yep - I was getting pinging on my BF (stock apart from tune) until I changed the fuel filter. I cut it open and it didn't appear to be too bad but I didn't recognise the brand. Can't remember now but it wasn't ryco or motorcraft- anyhoo, filter changed, ping gone, me happy.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now