Tompah Member 2 Member For: 13y 18d Posted 11/09/13 05:09 AM Posted 11/09/13 05:09 AM Hey guys, I'm aware there's a thread on what to look out for and I've read through it but I have a couple of questions.I'm going to see a private seller about an '03 model with 120k on the clock; he's only asking $9k for it so I'm inclined to believe he wants rid of it and quick. I know to look out for the trans fluid in the coolant etc. but when I drove past this morning (30mins before I was meant to see the car) they had the car hooked up with jumper cables to their 4wd, so I decided that they were trying to hide something and didn't bother staying to check the car out, but about 10 minutes later I got a message from them saying the battery was stuffed and they were going to replace it so I'd have to come and see it later. This has me hooked back in but I'm sure that there's much more than just the battery being stuffed that could result in a dead battery. What do I look out for?Also, I've never driven a turbo before so I'm not too sure on what to listen out for as tell-tale signs on misuse/lack of maintenance.In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not very mechanically clued but I don't want to get jipped here and end up with a car that'll cost it's price in repairs/replacements.
freeze_dk I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation Legacy Donating Member 8,610 Member For: 20y 1d Gender: Male Posted 11/09/13 05:28 AM Posted 11/09/13 05:28 AM Could have just been sitting there for a while and battery went flat.
MikeT36 Member 77 Member For: 13y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 11/09/13 05:42 AM Posted 11/09/13 05:42 AM Could have just been sitting there for a while and battery went flat./\/\ This if there was an alternator problem pretty sure you'd get a light popping up on the dash? can't confirm as I haven't had this happen to me yet touchwood haha
Doddo22 Member 135 Member For: 13y 7m 2d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 11/09/13 06:11 AM Posted 11/09/13 06:11 AM just to confirm an alternator problem will light up the battery indicator in the dash 1
Tompah Member 2 Member For: 13y 18d Posted 11/09/13 09:05 AM Posted 11/09/13 09:05 AM Ok took the car for a little drive, didn't want to put the foot down as it's been raining all day and the road are very slick (being auto it's unpredictable). I'm a little weary; the driver has given it a bit of a thrashing but says that he does let it heat up before he puts the boot down and idles the engine for a couple minutes at the end of a ride (ever since he had the first turbo replaced at around 50kkm because it was warped). I also asked on the phone about services and he said it was serviced regularly, however when I asked again in person he said it was serviced "whenever it needed it" and I noticed the service date sticker on the windscreen has been peeled off recently. Is something amiss here or am I being paranoid?
freeze_dk I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation Legacy Donating Member 8,610 Member For: 20y 1d Gender: Male Posted 11/09/13 11:00 AM Posted 11/09/13 11:00 AM I would service it regardless even if it just had a service. Oil and filter is only 40 bux. Turbo prob seized if the oil line hasn't been changed to a after market line eliminating the crap filter that always blocks
alexr6t Inactive Members 1 Member For: 13y 15d Posted 14/09/13 01:28 AM Posted 14/09/13 01:28 AM The car is an 08 FG TurboRego'd & RWCPrivate Sale$15,500After doing a REVS check I found it was a Repairable Write-Off (Collision April 2012)The seller is a panel beater by trade and bought the car damaged and repaired it himself.He claims it was only minor damage and that he only had to replace/fix the:*Radiator support*Bonnet*WindscreenI was going to get a pre-purchase inspection done for $200 in the hope that this will pick up any major issues.Are repairable write-offs really that bad?
PH1LLO Member 56 Member For: 14y 3m 4d Gender: Male Location: SE suburbs, Vic Posted 14/09/13 01:37 AM Posted 14/09/13 01:37 AM It seems strange the a 2008 Model car was written off just because of Windscreen, bonnet and rad brace?Did airbags go off?Just out of curiosity. Did he mention it was a rep write off in his add? Or you didn't find out until you checked?Phil
BenDoCo I'm getten too old for this s**t Legacy Donating Member 4,509 Member For: 13y 5m 22d Gender: Male Location: A big bridge over a river in South Australia Posted 14/09/13 01:37 AM Posted 14/09/13 01:37 AM not saying that the panel beater is full of crap but.....................would an insurance company really write-off an FG if it was ONLY that damage??? me not surealso, do I remember correctly when I say that write-offs get put onto a national data base which was designed to try and stop re-birthing? if so, would this affect you trying to register and insure it in the future.always remember -- buyer beware
RoVer New Member 12 Member For: 14y 10m Posted 14/09/13 01:39 AM Posted 14/09/13 01:39 AM It can be a risk, however If the repair work has been done well, you shouldn't have any drama's. You better be planning on keeping the car for a long time though, as people generally steer clear from repaired write offs.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now