Job/apprenticeship In Motorsport

Philz_T

• Member For: 12y 5m 22d

For the past year I have been really keen to get an apprenticship in motorsport.

I am 26 years old and based in Melbourne, and am trying to make a few connections with people who may be able to help me out to get a foot in the door.

if any1 out there can help me out it would b much appreciated to ask a few questions etc.

Philz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 8d

Maybe try and get in touch with some of the race teams and see what's involved?

I have a mate who is one of the mechanics on James Courtney's #22 car and he's only 21 so its definitely doable so don't stop trying if that's what you want

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

I think there's some tafe mechanics course for Motorsport. Got a cousin in law doing it. He's doing an mechanic apprenticeship separately and yeah from what he's told me they learn a lot about how to tune the performance of the vehicle and learn what adjustments have what affect on the track. Also learning to listen to the feedback of the driver and learning to tune the car and correct things the driver is feeling the car doing or not doing on the track. Sounds pretty cool, I think he also has to build an tune some kart thing that he gets to drive.

Might be something to look into.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

Thinking about it it's probably not strictly his tafe but maybe one of those pricey vocational course companies with either a distance course or one where you go away for weekend or week hands on thingy

• Like 1

• Skid Machine
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 4d

I did the Motorsport course at Kangan Batman Tafe in Coburg. $1000 for a 6 month course. I did the 1st certificate and there is also another 6 month course after that if you want to go further.

Some of it was interesting but I found it too basic and not involving enough for my liking. It might help to get into some for of Motorsport but I think a better way would be to complete a mechanics apprenticeship and then send your resume into some teams.

I've heard of another course in South Melbourne or somewhere close to the city that has a lot to do with the tuning side of things but there was a 6 month wait to get into that.