Short Shifter

Kozican

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 17d

I cut my shifter down for looks, made it slightly better to drive IMO but that's probably just in my head.

Next mod will be a taller shifter, and maybe have a look at how to solid mount the shifter, as I've had one of The rubber mounts flog out and make shifts sloppy.

• Menace
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 16d

Complete waste of time unless you already have a short shifter installed.

I was thinking of making my own in my downtime at work...I have all the stuff here and plenty of time to kill.

Does anyone know the difference in length from the pivot point on the Mal wood shifter to the standard T56 shifter?

I gather the new spacer would be roughly the same measurement.

• Member For: 12y 3m 27d

Just installed a Mal Wood Short Shifter in my BF. Has Shortened the throw by a good 25mm, has made gear changes a lot smoother, but can still miss 3rd if your to forceful instead of just firm and gentle. Gear changing is nearly non-existent, lovin life with the recent mod. Defenately recommend one. Cheers

• Menace
  • Donating Members

I was thinking of making my own in my downtime at work...I have all the stuff here and plenty of time to kill.

Does anyone know the difference in length from the pivot point on the Mal wood shifter to the standard T56 shifter?

I gather the new spacer would be roughly the same measurement.

Well this idea has been thrown in the too hard basket after finding one for 250bux, just need to wait 4-6 weeks.. no biggie

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 7d

I have a rip shifter and my bottom rubber is shagged can you just take the rubber off with out replacing it with anything and the steel bushes where can you get them from if a must to put in??

Happy with the rip shifter

• 5 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 5d

ok so I had a go this week at machining up another soild mounter shifter . I made a steel one two years ago that has done the job fine so far, but looks a little crude .. plus "HENZ" has been b!tching that he wants one ,

so I thought id start again but this time cnc machine it as well as being out of alloy not steel .. wanted to keep it very simple .. made 2 .. one with mounting holes and one blank incase it didnt fit . mounted it all up today with a new HURST shift knob I just bought .. it turned out ok I guess but theres a few things I will re-design for the next one I make.

one: it being little shorter .

two: I need to make it double the thickness and then machine into where it bolts to the gearbox ,so that the stick goes back to being in the center and not offset 15mm. just a looks thing really .

Other than though's things it turned out got for the first one . x10 better than standard and stuff all noise (less than the steel one I made) . also my car has got the ripshift/herrod shifter in it.

sorry I know the cars a mess... heres the first steel one

post-12564-0-52249400-1345867283_thumb.j

new aircraft alloy one .

post-12564-0-22674500-1345867393_thumb.j

post-12564-0-52443600-1345867451_thumb.j

installed

post-12564-0-12577900-1345867547_thumb.j

post-12564-0-52154000-1345867585_thumb.j

short momo gear knob brings it down alot shorter

post-12564-0-92516800-1345867627_thumb.j

HURST

post-12564-0-34917200-1345867687_thumb.j

post-12564-0-14202800-1345867750_thumb.j

post-12564-0-11219400-1345867802_thumb.j

OFFSET

post-12564-0-12300400-1345867842_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Menace
  • Donating Members

After fitting the monza shift kit to mine I actually found that with the new short throw base and shorter gear stick combined it was way too short...

From 3rd to 4th there was like seriously 50mm of travel, to the point it was hard to know if you were in neutral or not it was so tight and a *beep* to change gears.

The result was leaving the short throw base in and making a longer gear stick... well the 1st one I made was ok and it felt like the gear travel still could be longer. so I said f*ck it I'll try and make one as long as I can and as close to the steering wheel as possible without replacing the leather boot.

wTKTJ.jpg

r7KNV.jpg

It cant go up or right any more otherwise selecting reverse wont happen due to the leather being too tight.. its just off slack now (not enough to be a problem in anyway though). its it Neutral in the pic

End result is a gear shift throw that's about the same or less than standard but having so much extra feel over each gear change.

I have total confidence that I wont miss a gear from the extra feel and it so much easier to do a gentle change and feel like its just slipping perfectly into gear. Even on a cold morning I dont have any dramas selecting 2nd or anything at all.. been very happy with it.

Looks ugly as sin I know but theres no way it'll be getting changed. :)

Edited by Kroozin