rednose RNS10S Legacy Donating Member 2,229 Member For: 20y 1m 23d Gender: Male Posted 25/12/12 12:04 PM Posted 25/12/12 12:04 PM read a little more about Ethanol based fuels, by nature it will always be harder to ignite than petrol, but there are methods which aids with thisDon't understand what your getting at, are you agreeing with me?Because that's exactly what I said "A good tuner should be able to figure out whats needed to start e85 in cold temps" 1
tonyv EPC Member Legacy Donating Member 1,598 Member For: 17y 10m 6d Gender: Male Posted 25/12/12 12:08 PM Posted 25/12/12 12:08 PM so with this fuel u get more power, but how does it affect reliability of the engine. I know il need 1000cc injectors. im making 370 on 18psi at the moment. say I run e85 on the same boost what power advantage should I expect to see?
Kosij Legacy Donating Member 2,045 Member For: 15y 1m 29d Gender: Male Posted 25/12/12 12:26 PM Posted 25/12/12 12:26 PM (edited) all my E85 is from blaxland so that's good to know Tonyv 400+I've Ben told its safer as more timing less boost and cooler engine also safer then 98 with regards to pinging !! Read the thread it is packed full of answers! I have 345 on 98 and 385 on E85 Edited 25/12/12 12:29 PM by Kosij 1
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 12d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 26/12/12 02:35 AM Posted 26/12/12 02:35 AM Don't understand what your getting at, are you agreeing with me?Because that's exactly what I said "A good tuner should be able to figure out whats needed to start e85 in cold temps"sort if disagreeing, a good tune on 98 is always going to start easier than a good tune on E85 in cold weather, but a good E85 tune may start better than a bad 98 tune, the tuner can not adjust the properties and characteristics of the fuel 1
Kosij Legacy Donating Member 2,045 Member For: 15y 1m 29d Gender: Male Posted 26/12/12 03:07 AM Posted 26/12/12 03:07 AM I've had 2 E85 tunes,One was a bastard to start in the morning first time everytime! took about 40seconds to start.Second tune about 4 cranks it starts and once warm it starts first time. And the colder it is the harder it is to start, I added a check valve in my 044 and it helped slightly with the old tune but now I have 2 044's no check valves and NO starting issues! 1
XYZ Legacy Donating Member 1,171 Member For: 17y 22d Posted 26/12/12 04:22 AM Posted 26/12/12 04:22 AM Might be because I'm from QLD and we rarely ever see very cold mornings, but never had an issue with cold starting on E85 or E90+. Always starts first go.. In fact the car runs smother and idles better on E85
relentless xr6 Member 363 Member For: 15y 10m 5d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 26/12/12 05:11 AM Posted 26/12/12 05:11 AM Would it be easier to have a cold start tune that you use to warm the car up then put your power tune in once the car is warm? 1
xr6t_ute Legacy Donating Member 2,281 Member For: 19y 3m 14d Gender: Male Location: south east suburbs Posted 26/12/12 05:37 AM Posted 26/12/12 05:37 AM Great idea :-) 2
rednose RNS10S Legacy Donating Member 2,229 Member For: 20y 1m 23d Gender: Male Posted 26/12/12 05:59 AM Posted 26/12/12 05:59 AM sort if disagreeing, a good tune on 98 is always going to start easier than a good tune on E85 in cold weather, but a good E85 tune may start better than a bad 98 tune, the tuner can not adjust the properties and characteristics of the fuelDon't know what your disagreeing about, I didn't say one fuel was better or worse than the other, I just said that if tuned correctly E85 shouldn't give you problems starting in cold temps. 1
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 12d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 26/12/12 08:09 AM Posted 26/12/12 08:09 AM and I'm saying the higher the ethanol content of the fuel, the harder it is to ignite, the temp window to ignite is not as great as 98
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now