Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 1m 2d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 15/09/10 11:41 AM Posted 15/09/10 11:41 AM had my old turbo ute to 260... cooler pipe blew off as I changed into 6th so aborted
Panda Eyes flame magnet Legacy Donating Member 5,674 Member For: 18y 4m 24d Gender: Male Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central Posted 15/09/10 01:34 PM Posted 15/09/10 01:34 PM what do ausie cars need high top speed for? the r & d dollars to put the car in a wind tunnel would be wasted. euro manufacturers vie for the top mph spot, but really would ford bother when the closest ausie rival is.... a bombadore?all the makers want is a small edge over it's rivals. nothing more...:o
rockafellqeinstien Member 325 Member For: 18y 2m 17d Posted 15/09/10 11:07 PM Posted 15/09/10 11:07 PM I had my fg ute to 251kmh (That was GPS - Speedo said 243 - because I had 45 not 40 series tyres on) That was pre tune with stock 243rwkw (obviously my ute wasnt limited to 230kmph from the factory). That was in 6th and it was still pulling (Manual). A word of warning - these cars arnt made to go that fast - it was scary. I did it on a 1 and a half lane private road that was pretty damn smooth (at 100) but at 220+ the car was bouncing around alot and if you had to make even the slightest quick adjustment you'd be in trouble (totaly different to BMW's I have driffen at similar speeds).The areodynamics arnt that great - utes in particular. You'll notice this when cruising at 130kmh and your fuell ecomomy goes to crap where as many euro cars dont see as much of a change between 110 and 130 (my ute goes from under 10L/100 to 13.5L/100. This directly relates to top speed. that's why an old lexus Ls400 or BMW 540 with 200FWKW can hit 250 pretty easy.On a side note, I was looking for a safer place to do these runs and was hoping to have a go at Lake Gairdner salt lake but you can only do it through the dry lake racing assosiation once a year and you have to have a full roll cage - aint going to happen in my FG. Really bugs me - in california you can book a half day for a couple of bucks through their lands dept on the salt lake and just go nuts (better than public roads or dodgy private roads).Also - make sure you've got a long slow down area as my brakes whent to the floor before I had even slowed to 100 and I wasnt braking at 100%.Cant wait for my next trip to germany
turbo ute79 Member 376 Member For: 18y 1m 13d Gender: Male Location: gladstone qld Posted 16/09/10 07:15 AM Posted 16/09/10 07:15 AM pretty sure ba turbo utes are speed limited to 240kmh. "apparently" very floaty at that speed.
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 21d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 16/09/10 07:20 AM Posted 16/09/10 07:20 AM 230ks which is plenty in an Ocean Liner
Turbo6FG Legacy Donating Member 497 Member For: 16y 7m 8d Gender: Male Posted 16/09/10 11:14 PM Posted 16/09/10 11:14 PM ...A word of warning - these cars arnt made to go that fast - it was scary. I did it on a 1 and a half lane private road that was pretty damn smooth (at 100) but at 220+ the car was bouncing around alot and if you had to make even the slightest quick adjustment you'd be in trouble (totaly different to BMW's I have driffen at similar speeds).True I've had my FG ute out to 200 before & it doesn't feel very settled unless it's on a dead smooth surface although at 150 or so it's fine. The crappy eBay dark argent rims probably didn't help I don't think they are balanced all that well.
Turbo6FG Legacy Donating Member 497 Member For: 16y 7m 8d Gender: Male Posted 16/09/10 11:21 PM Posted 16/09/10 11:21 PM Cant wait for my next trip to germanyGermany is great fun, especially taking a drive round the Nurburgring in a VW van with a few mates just for the laugh. It's also a pleasure to drive on roads where people are actually educated about road manners & driving skill, unlike some people over here who seem to drive with their heads up their @rses.
FastR1Red Member 360 Member For: 21y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: Mt Waverley Posted 17/09/10 12:34 PM Posted 17/09/10 12:34 PM I had my fg ute to 251kmh (That was GPS - Speedo said 243 - because I had 45 not 40 series tyres on) That was pre tune with stock 243rwkw (obviously my ute wasnt limited to 230kmph from the factory). That was in 6th and it was still pulling (Manual). A word of warning - these cars arnt made to go that fast - it was scary. I did it on a 1 and a half lane private road that was pretty damn smooth (at 100) but at 220+ the car was bouncing around alot and if you had to make even the slightest quick adjustment you'd be in trouble (totaly different to BMW's I have driffen at similar speeds).The areodynamics arnt that great - utes in particular. You'll notice this when cruising at 130kmh and your fuell ecomomy goes to crap where as many euro cars dont see as much of a change between 110 and 130 (my ute goes from under 10L/100 to 13.5L/100. This directly relates to top speed. that's why an old lexus Ls400 or BMW 540 with 200FWKW can hit 250 pretty easy.On a side note, I was looking for a safer place to do these runs and was hoping to have a go at Lake Gairdner salt lake but you can only do it through the dry lake racing assosiation once a year and you have to have a full roll cage - aint going to happen in my FG. Really bugs me - in california you can book a half day for a couple of bucks through their lands dept on the salt lake and just go nuts (better than public roads or dodgy private roads).Also - make sure you've got a long slow down area as my brakes whent to the floor before I had even slowed to 100 and I wasnt braking at 100%.Cant wait for my next trip to germanyDude don't panic, the BA handles the speed ok. Up to 240 is pretty normal and smooth, 250 starts to get light and at 260 it's a handful. (Measured on GPS timers) No need to stomp on the brakes either unless you're taking it too close to the edge or getting uncomfortable with the speed. "Also - make sure you've got a long slow down area as my brakes whent to the floor before I had even slowed to 100 and I wasnt braking at 100%."Huh?? something wrong there, were they shuddering at all? MIne pulls up pretty easily from 260 with plenty left. Maybe change your brake fluid.And yeh the speed limiter is removed with the edit.
Dillz Three pedals are better then two.. Legacy Donating Member 15,637 Member For: 19y 4m 14d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 17/09/10 12:41 PM Posted 17/09/10 12:41 PM pretty sure ba turbo utes are speed limited to 240kmh. "apparently" very floaty at that speed.Another vote for 240
45T-XR Legacy Donating Member 417 Member For: 19y 7m 4d Gender: Male Location: Gladstone, Queensland Posted 29/09/10 01:33 AM Posted 29/09/10 01:33 AM pretty sure ba turbo utes are speed limited to 240kmh. "apparently" very floaty at that speed.That sounds about right, my old nov 2002 xrt sedan hit speed limiter around 235-240, and my 2005 br ute is the same
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now