xr_velocity Legacy Donating Member 290 Member For: 19y 10m 30d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 05/10/09 08:01 PM Posted 05/10/09 08:01 PM Since most people have had this done, I would like to know how much is a decent price for labour to replace valve springs?I am in Sydney, I have been quoted $690 so far (labour only). I realise it is a big job and understand the cost. Which workshop will do it for less than this?
Redback Banned 236 Member For: 17y 3m 18d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown NSW Posted 05/10/09 10:30 PM Posted 05/10/09 10:30 PM I've done them myself and I reckon it shouldn't cost more than about $ 300- $ 400 in labour. Someone who has done this over and over again shouldn't take longer than about 4-5 hours to complete.
CHLAXN Legacy Donating Member 932 Member For: 18y 4m 7d Gender: Male Location: north QLD Posted 06/10/09 12:02 AM Posted 06/10/09 12:02 AM cv performance did mine for around $580 if I remember right and I supplyed the springs. it was the cheapest I could find around sydney.
straughsberry Legacy Donating Member 1,846 Member For: 19y 1m 11d Gender: Male Location: Broady, Melbourne Posted 06/10/09 01:41 AM Posted 06/10/09 01:41 AM At a rate of $110 an hour and 4-5 hours, it should cost no more than $550. $690 seems a little on the high side. If they haven't got the tool, then there's not reason why you should be subsidising it.
freeze_dk I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation Legacy Donating Member 8,610 Member For: 20y 1d Gender: Male Posted 06/10/09 02:03 AM Posted 06/10/09 02:03 AM can a no0b do it themselves?
straughsberry Legacy Donating Member 1,846 Member For: 19y 1m 11d Gender: Male Location: Broady, Melbourne Posted 06/10/09 02:17 AM Posted 06/10/09 02:17 AM With the head off it's easy. I used a motor bike valve spring removal tool and it worked perfectly with our heads.With the head on and without the right tools, the job would be difficult. The cams need to be removed and you're going to need a compressor to fill the cylinder so the valves dont drop out. And you'll probably want the Atomic spring removal tool or similar unless you've got a spare week
Redback Banned 236 Member For: 17y 3m 18d Gender: Male Location: Blacktown NSW Posted 06/10/09 03:12 AM Posted 06/10/09 03:12 AM Do not attempt if you have no mechanical knowledge. Brad at Atomic hires his tool for $ 50. Also do yourself a favour and buy Atomic springs. Do not make the mistake of buying Nispro as I did.
xr_velocity Legacy Donating Member 290 Member For: 19y 10m 30d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 07/10/09 12:21 AM Author Posted 07/10/09 12:21 AM Yes, I figured $690 was a bit over the top.Anyone know where I can get he job done for a reasonable price in sydney?
xr_velocity Legacy Donating Member 290 Member For: 19y 10m 30d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 07/10/09 02:30 AM Author Posted 07/10/09 02:30 AM (edited) Thanks to all for their help on this, but Atomic gave me the answer I wanted. THey mentioned Tony Rigoli Racing in Villawood will do it for $350 (labour). Excellent price! This is of course as long as I use the Atomic springs, which doesn't bother me at all since they are very good quality and proven in many cars. Edited 07/10/09 02:40 AM by xr_velocity
darios typhoon Member 73 Member For: 17y 3m 29d Gender: Male Location: northern beaches Posted 11/10/09 07:20 AM Posted 11/10/09 07:20 AM Do not attempt if you have no mechanical knowledge. Brad at Atomic hires his tool for $ 50. Also do yourself a favour and buy Atomic springs. Do not make the mistake of buying Nispro as I did.just interested what happened to the nizpro springs have problems myself.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now