Dell

Guest _Spin_

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 27d

Being an IT Manager for a large department, I have used hundreds of dell products. Some will last 10 years plus without ever having a fault (aprat from slowing down rapidly after 3 years, tyupical of most computers though.) although the majority, about 90%, of our Dell fleet had warranty work done on them. Memory failures, hdd failures, mother board, video cards.... around 5% of the stock we had was dead on arrival. We started using Toshiba, but they were much the same.

We made the switch to corporate HP about 3 years ago and have yet to make a warranty claim. No kidding.

For home use, I would only ever recommend a decent ASUS laptop. I used to build computers on the side, I would only ever use ASUS parts and I never had one come back to me. But make sure you set your sights on something over $1k. You do get what you pay for, if you buy a $600 dell, it will only perform and last like a $600 computer should. Don't expect too much from cheap crap.

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 6d

Bang for buck - Asus...

High end - Fujitsu Lifebook...

Good all rounder - Asus...

Toshiba, Acer, Benq, blah blah blah are all not bad bits of gear either...

if your going to throw the bastard around - get a Panasonic toughbook...

Dell - hhhhmmm give or take... prefer to pass IMO...

Let me know if we can help at all...

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=56699

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 19d

I went with dell for the price and warranty as when the missus deployed overseas they offer the theft/damage insurance with there warranty's.

Your better off getting the full 3yrs warranty anyway as parts aren't cheap for laptops.

Have had my XPS M1710 for nearly 3yrs now and at the start of the year the graphics card went on it, I called DELL at 11pm on the night to lodge a repair request and at 3am I had a young kid asleep in his car waiting out the front for me when I returned from picking a mate up at the airport!

He was not happy but I told him sh*t happens as its his job and having that warranty with a 3-6hr response time is why I got the warranty, plus he's getting paid for call outs...

Only problem I see with them is the unheard of brand name parts inside of them, but so far its only been the Nvidia card that has shat itself so far.

This thing gets a hiding with games so it was bound to happen.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 29d

:verysad:

From a business customer perspective I cannot fault Dell. Last time I needed them was a failed drive in a desktop PC a few weeks ago, ran the diagnostic tool, lodged a warranty claim online and had a phonecall within 20 minutes confirming address details and seeing if I needed a technician dispatched...replacement drive arrived the following day along with a courier bag to return the old one. No hoops to jump through whatsoever.

Am on my fourth Dell laptop myself personally and can see no reason to change. Have never had one "die", we had one with faulty memory years ago that was fixed the same day and that's about all out of approx 20 that I've purchased.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 24d

I work in IT and have worked with both HP and Dell in the past....Dell, get ready to call support, odds are something will break. I had them try to fix my laptop 4 times. They fixed the original problem then introduced another problem because they use second hand parts for warranty.

Dell simply copy other brands, why do you thin kt hey are so cheap.

If it's going to get a decent amount of use, get a name brand, not a clone.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 27d

Dell's warranty support is the best there is, but you WILL need it.

The interesting thing is when the tech arrives, he has every part in the whole computer with him, and he sets about replacing everything until its fixed. Gives you an idea how cheap the parts really are....no diagnosing required..

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 14y 10m 14d

My advised to anyone looking at buying a PC is wait. no doubt most people have heard what a piece of crap Windows Vista is. Wait a couple of months and get laptop bundled with Windows 7, looks similar to Vista but it actually works... I've been running it for a few months and a the very large hardware company that I work for are already testing it for workstations. They didn't even bother with Vista. My 2 cents.

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 6d

deegee??/

Mate, there is no need for people to wait.

Most systems that now come with Vista also come with a free Win 7 upgrade...

(shipping costs may be payable however - good on you mr micro'soft'cock)...

So yeah - no need to wait guys, just make sure you check if it comes with a free upgrade or not - you will find most current and new systems will!

:buttrock:

btw - vista aint all that badddd dddddd ddd dddddddddddd - reboot........ :leghump: