Rootster Just a large member member Legacy Donating Member 3,125 Member For: 17y 11m 17d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 19/02/09 08:17 AM Posted 19/02/09 08:17 AM Hopefully I recieve my car back from the panel shop friday or saturday and been ringing around for a detail.Most guys are telling me a hand polish is better than a machine polish , is this true and is $200 to much for a hand job,will I have a happy ending? Cheers Nick
Mat Legacy Donating Member 2,930 Member For: 19y 5m 20d Gender: Male Location: Caracciola Karussell Posted 19/02/09 08:51 AM Posted 19/02/09 08:51 AM I have a bloke who works a few doors down from me at work and he details high end cars (hsv's and fpv's are the "worst cars" he does) and he charges almost that an hour, so if its a good job $200 is great!
b-rad Legacy Donating Member 257 Member For: 18y 4m 21d Location: townsville Posted 19/02/09 09:00 AM Posted 19/02/09 09:00 AM (edited) I have a ladie friend here she says she will give you a hand job for 200 bucks Edited 19/02/09 09:09 AM by b-rad
Benny Member 1,869 Member For: 23y 1m 27d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 19/02/09 09:03 AM Posted 19/02/09 09:03 AM I have a ladie friend here she says she will give you a hang job for 200 bucks
Rootster Just a large member member Legacy Donating Member 3,125 Member For: 17y 11m 17d Gender: Male Location: sydney Posted 19/02/09 09:11 AM Author Posted 19/02/09 09:11 AM and polish the car ? it's a deal
ravenhard Legacy Donating Member 1,517 Member For: 18y 7m Gender: Male Location: Blacktown! Posted 19/02/09 10:56 AM Posted 19/02/09 10:56 AM (edited) If you just want to add wax to you car's finish, then $200 is fine. Also I prefer to do the waxing by hand. As in I get the actual wax and play round with it in my hands then apply using my hands. I then use a waffel weave towel to buff it off. I dont believe a machine finish is any better. It may be quicker but that is about it. But for $200 does that include anything else? So I presume you just got the car back from paint. It would probably need a very fine swirl removal and/or polish(or All-in-one) to prep the paint. This can only be done properly by a machine. I dont care what anybody says a hand job will take twice as long and do half the job. Hand jobs simply doesnt have the cutting power of a machine. After the swirl removal/polish I recomment a paint sealent(also known as a synthethic wax) which I usually do with a machine also. This will make the car much shiner and be almost good as a wax but last alot longer. Then I add wax as a last stage product.And when I say wax I mean carnauba wax as this give depth of shine and gloss that a synthectic or paint sealant cant.So to do this job properly would cost more than $200, more like $500plus depending on how much polish needs to be done./ramble over I hate trying to explain things in a post never able to give great explainations.... Edited 19/02/09 11:03 AM by ravenhard
HIRO F6 Member 1,817 Member For: 17y 8m 13d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane, QLD Posted 19/02/09 11:15 AM Posted 19/02/09 11:15 AM ravenhard, would you do it for $200 and a case of beer?
MADF6 Member 399 Member For: 18y 8m 10d Posted 19/02/09 11:49 AM Posted 19/02/09 11:49 AM Nice post ravenhard - very nice summary. Defo agree wax by hand too, and the rest (surface prep) by machine. I prefer to use an applicator instead of my hands but this is personal preference. I use alot less too when using an applicator.I WOULD NOT TAKE MY CAR TO SOMEONE TO DO A POLISH BY HAND. As ravenhard points out it will never compare to a machine polish PLUS a machine polish is faster so your basically getting rip jobbed - not hand jobbed. It's like a lawn mowing service saying hey I'll cut your lawn with a pare of scissors. Apart from the great summary ravenhard posted you may also need to clay (claybar) your car too, which is done before the polish because doing it induced minor marring of the paint. Even new cars need attention because where do they sit before they're sold?... on the lot. Basically the claybar pulls contaminants that have bonded to the paint free from the surface. I also like to tape off some (not all if just waxing) parts of my car (window trims, etc). Also, after you apply the wax the first time you can top it up after washes using products like Duragloss Aquawax - prolongs the life of the applied wax.Personally I think you should teach yourself to wax because it's not only dead simple but it's also something everyone should be doing as part of their car maintenance plan. Depending on how often you use your car you will need to apply it regularly and should apply it on a monthly basis. Surely your not going to pay someone $200 everytime for a wax? PLUS you could apply multiple layers too to give more protection. Just my opinion...For $200 you'd probably be paying $15 for the wax used (very little), $5 for the applicator, and the rest in labour and it's probably an hour job so you decide for yourself if it's too much. Alternatives then?- for $200 you could buy some top end Swissvax wax ($190) and apply it yourself. You'd only use a small portion each time so it will last for ages,- for $30 you could get some other great waxes (e.g. Poorboys, Pinnicle, Dodo, Chem Guys and even Meguiars) and you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the high end and mid range ones. Pocket the rest, put it towards other parts of your car (or polish and a RO), go get a real hand job - or go take your wife out to dinner...You choose. Hope this helps
kona86 disgruntled member Legacy Donating Member 1,237 Member For: 18y 4m 12d Gender: Male Location: Glen Waverley Posted 19/02/09 12:05 PM Posted 19/02/09 12:05 PM go get a real hand job - or go take your wife out to dinner...You choose. Hope this helps hahahahaha
ravenhard Legacy Donating Member 1,517 Member For: 18y 7m Gender: Male Location: Blacktown! Posted 19/02/09 12:07 PM Posted 19/02/09 12:07 PM Hey MADF6, I recognise you car and avatar from Detail paradise. I agree with everything your saying apart from him needing to clay his car. Its just got repainted. I dont believe a repainted car would have to many contaminants. Yes claying a car is good, but pointless in his case. Would I do it for $200. Well when I get a car that hasnt had my treatment before. Its usually a 12hour job just for the exterior. Would you work 12hours for $200 less all the different products you have to use. Im not a professional, just have all the gear being a dedicated weekend warrior. I do it for enjoyment and relaxation as I do my car, my misses and my oldies car twice a year for little more than slap on the back and a thank you.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now