To Unichip Or Not

Madwhip

• Member For: 15y 5m 11d

Hi all,

I want to tamper with my 02 ba xrt's ecu I don't want a balls to the wall race car. I already have one that runs a total after market ecu(link G2). What I would like is something that can connect to the laptop to do some real time tuning. I have found a cheap unichip but after a quick look over the forums it seems to be pretty unloved. What are my altenatives? The reason I don't like the whole flash edit capa style is that I have no control over the values nor the ability to save then update the stock ford values. Any thoughts or experinces welcome I only want to purchas this tool once.

Cheers

James

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 18y 9m 16d

Hey mate for 250rwkw im not really sure why you would want real time tuning. I would just go with a flash tuner and save so money for more mods. I could understand real time tuning for anything over 400rwkw but not 250rwkw.

Russ

I take your point but it's more about the interest of tuning and knowing I can make a change with out the aid of a workshop.

That aside what is the best way in any ones opion to handle the ecu side of the 250 rwkw build?

Edited by Madwhip

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 15d

Mate, you cannot just plugin a laptop and tune a Unichip, you need the right software to tune it. This is the same as a sniper and also the Flashtuner (Edit)

From memory you can do some tuning with an EXEDE which is an old piggyback with free software if it is still available or you go a whole ECU replacement like a Wolf3d/Motec M8.

Unless you are a tuner, stick to a Edit2 that allows minor changes as a motor is an expensive device to play with.

edit2? Who makes this? See the problem is not many trick turbo foulcoons getting around over here. I don't want my car to be a test bed for take a guess edits that stop me from having a standard ford upgradable car.

Christchurch,South Island New Zealand :bowdown:

Unichip

Haltec you say I'll have a look. Cheers :beerchug:

I went and spoke to a local company today that has just started flash editing. Starting one next week. It sure wont be my car they learn on. All the other tuners here love japs lots of fast local nissans,evos,rotas and hondas nah just joking no such thing as a fast honda. But none of the tuners wan't/don't know how to tune the ford. So I think I need to dyno check and track tune a piggy back. .oink oink

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 15d

If your car is stock then just get a generic tuned edit from one of the sponsors who have created their own set of tunes.

While it is best to have a custom tune, most of the bigger workshops have developed a good generic tune that will suit your car.

You could also contact CAPA to find out who is the more experienced NZ tuners. Might need a road trip to Auckland to find a good one.

I would not touch a piggyback unless you have no other choice.