Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Firm Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 7d
  • Location: Adelaide Hills
Posted

l dont think there is a need.

Ford havent fitted one and feel confident enough in the car to give you a 3 year warranty. l wouldnt spend my money on one, it will be Fords problem if something goes wrong.

There has been some threads on this before, try a search and you should find some additional info.

Cheers

  • 1 month later...
Guest keithg
  • Guests
Posted

Since my turbo is screwed and being replaced as we speak, the dealer has recommended that I install a turbo timer in an attempt to reduce damage to my new one in the future.

I am looking at the HKS timer type 1, can any one make recommendations or suggestions.

Keith

Guest EdMoorhouse
  • Guests
Posted

What stuffed the turbo? I was of the belief that they had a cooling system that eliminated the need for a timer.

Guest keithg
  • Guests
Posted

The dealers comment was that it was getting pretty hot. The waste gate shaft that goes through the housing that connects to the actuator has given way and then seized in an open position. Also when the dealer went to take the Turbo off they broke a couple of the studs that hold the turbo on. They were purple right through. I am not sure why or how especially when it does have a cooling system, but I really don't want it to happen again, and I fugure for a couple of hundred bucks, it may save me some headahes in the future.

Guest EdMoorhouse
  • Guests
Posted

There are 3 types of turbo timers.

1. A timer on the ignition that alows you to turn the car off and remove the key but the motor continues to run for a set time.

2.The oil resivoir type. The oil flows slowly from the resevoir over the turbo bearings after you turn the motor off.

3. Sit in the car and idle the engine a while and wait for the turbo to cool.(cheapest option)

  • My new toy
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 16d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld.
Posted

I do not believe a turbo timer will help this probelm as most of the heat in the housing is when you are pushing the car hard. the turbo timer just allows the oil to cycle around and over bearings to help it keep lubicated as the turbo winds down.

Ian

Posted

keigthg, WTF were you doing to the T? were you giving it a hard time or what. Please explain ?

Guest keithg
  • Guests
Posted
keigthg, WTF were you doing to the T? were you giving it a hard time or what. Please explain ?

Dude I have no idea?!!

I have just over 26000 on mine and most of them are freeway klms. Go figure?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...