Fuel Consumption (merged topic)

Djelibeybi

• Member For: 19y 5m 3d

hey, yeh mate iv reset it all.Im averaging around 17ish now. My average Km/h is only 29-30km/h though so that's my problem I think lol mainly just suburban driving and that. Im guna clean out the carby this week as well as the Actuator solenoid to see f that makes a difference (plus make it run even nicer)

cheers

For that avge speed, your fuel figures are normal. Stop/start, car parks what can a bloke do?

The only other thing that might play into it is fuel. You are using 98, right? Anything less will normally give you less kms.

ws

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 3m 29d

Done only 1500kms in my FG XR6T sedan, averaging 12.7 on regular unleaded(the fuel used by Ford while developing the car). 98 will give you a little better economy(won't make up the cost of the fuel), but that's it.. unnoticeable power gain.

• Member For: 17y 4d

BA MK II T 6 Speed manual

Canberra to QLD and back to Canberra.

3092 km's

304 litres of Fuel ( 91 ) Shell / Caltex.

= 9.83 Litres per 100 km's.

:)

Edited by f-wolf

91 - big no no for turbos

BA XR6 NA . One good thing is - using a 9.7:1 compression ratio - the engine can survive on cheap-o 91RON ULP rather than the higher-octane stuff.

BA XR6 Turbo

8.7:1 static compression ratio combined with very mild boost pressure. With the turbo set to deliver just 6 psi…

Compression ratio 8.7:1

Fuel type 91/95 RON ULP

The XR6 Turbo engine varies from its atmo cousin by employing revised pistons (dropping the static compression ratio from 9.7 to 8.7:1), slightly modified conrods and Inconel exhaust valves. The turbo system comprises a stainless steel exhaust manifold with a Garrett GT40 ball-bearing turbocharger, a high-flow cat converter and exhaust, front-mount air-to-air intercooler, Bosch blow-off valve and electronic wastegate control allowing up to 6 psi boost. Fuel pressure is also raised to 4 Bar and 95 RON premium unleaded fuel is necessary to achieve the quoted 240kW output.

The XR6 Turbo According to Ford - Part One

From : AutoSpeed - The XR6 Turbo According to Ford - Part One

How did you arrive at the chosen compression ratio and turbocharging

"The compression ratio was assessed in a number of tests. You make an assumption to start with that we'll lower the compression ratio by X amount and see what the spark characteristics were like. We knew we were going to be spark inhibited with the standard compression ratio - it needs a lower compression ratio, otherwise you give yourself a too-hard time. You need to get into very high quality fuels and we wanted to make sure - using a knock sensor - we'd have the ability run on standard unleaded. That was a prerequisite. There is a performance benefit on premium unleaded, however."We were pretty fortunate in that we nominated a compression ratio and it turned out pretty close to what we wanted - we didn't have to go through a whole gambit of ratios. Don't forget we've got a lot of basic 6-cylinder technology already intrinsic within the company - like where you need to go for detonation borderline characteristics and MBT (mean best timing relating to torque) so the characteristic of the engine was pretty well known before we got into it. It wasn't really a guess; we ran with 8.7:1.

Part Two at: http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1904/article.html

Edited by f-wolf

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 7d

I am going to assume 2 things from the above post. 1, your car is stock and 2, you never drive it hard.

Ford have said and done a lot of stupid things over the years. One of the things that come to mind is putting conrods from the 60’s into a boosted car. Your car will run on 91. I never said it won’t, but don’t be naive in thinking because the engine has knock sensors that it’s safe.

I believe the reason Ford say its ok to use 91 is so they can sell more cars. The average Joe family man wouldn’t buy it if Ford said to use 95 or above. There are many other turbo examples in the market from Japan and Europe none of which mention the use of 91.

What if your towing something or accelerating up a big hill in 35+ deg day. Do you think the engine wont ping? I can almost guarantee it will. Why risk it just to save a few bucks.

The higher octane rating is not the only advantage. 98ron fuels have additives which clean and de-carbonise the engine. You obviously love your car otherwise you wouldn’t be on this forum. So why feed it sh*t food?

• Member For: 14y 11m 13d

Hmm they can be greedy. I have done 8000 km at the moment and I get 8.4 lt on the highway and get 14 lt around town. Hope it drops a little more in the future.

FLASHLUBE INJECTOR CLEANER

Super Concentrated - 1 Litre treats 1000 Litres of Petrol

Benefits:

Cleans Injectors & fuel systems

Improves fuel economy

Lubricates Injectors, pumps & upper cylinder area

Provides exceptional lubricity for low sulphur fuel

Improves performance

Improves hard starting

Reduces harmful emissions

Extends engine life