Boost Solenoid Maintenance

ZAP

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 7d

haha did this to my ute... took it for a spin in the wet... almost spun out it came on so much faster and harder lol wish I had read this when I first got it

• 1 month later...
  • Cryptic Clothing Company
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 10d

sorry guys, still a little unsure when taking the battery out. since I have a factory alarm. how do I ensure it does not go off?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 8m 7d

did this to my ute this arvo... we took it round the corner and gave it abit, clutched it in 2nd and it almost felt like it overboosted and it pissed a sh*t load of black smoke out the back(went hard though lol), then when we stopped it was idling like sh*t and then stopped(stalled). so we quickly got under the bonnet and saused the problem. turns out when we must not have put the tube back on tight enough. it must have popped off when I clutched it. so to anyone doing this be sure to put it back on tight!

• The Cleaning Dudes Ute
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8d

I did this mod a few weeks ago and to be totally honest didnt notice much of a difference.

Perhaps a tad better throttle response but nowhere nearly as much as everyone is harping on about.

Maybe its just my car :spoton:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 28d

I didn't notice too much of difference the last time I did it either, but im pretty sure I used way too much wd40. few seconds into the solonoid, but then got a little carried away while spraying it into the hose haha...

Edited by XR06T

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 3m 18d
An alternative to removing the battery (also for those reset-o-phobes) is to remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the radiator expansion tank and move it out of the way to get to the boost solenoid that way.

Glad I read this suggestion before I tried the solenoid maintence, made it alot easier than trying to remove the battery or neither.....I tried both (being lazy) pretty hard pulling the battery out (I only have one hand at the moment, crushed my right middle finger). Once I had the radiatior expantion tank out of the way it was a piece of pi$$, boost feels alot more willing to come on now too :spoton:

Thanks for the advice

• Member For: 16y 8m 6d

I did the solenoid maintenance as described, and now the car seems to boost much harder from 2000-4000rpm. The only problem is that on full throttle the car stutters after 4000rpm and pops and crackles when I get off the throttle. My car is unmodified. Can anyone help?

Also, I pout a hose clamp on the boost solenoid tube? is this necessary? was there supposed to be one there from stock?

Thanks in advance!

• Member For: 15y 7m

did the boost solenoid maintenance today car seems to be running better but when I pull up idle drops then jumps back up never did this before I :stupid: disconnected the battery to perform maintenance could this have any thing to do with it