Robbo Member 249 Member For: 23y 10m 1d Location: Sydney Posted 17/05/03 01:11 AM Posted 17/05/03 01:11 AM Just want to share an experience with you all. I'm in Sydney and we've had bucket loads of rain over the last few days so literally everything is drenched. Some roads have small lakes and running rivers across them and you can get lost in some of the new pot holes that have appeared. I got home last night and left my car in the driveway while I had dinner. My driveway slopes down towards the garage reasonably steeply. When I went to put it away, it started, I rolled about 2 metres and then it stalled. From this point I couldn't start it again. The engine turned over but no ignition. I figured I would try again in the morning after it dried out a bit. This morning, same thing. No ignition. I checked under the bonnet for any loose leads. I had about 30kms left on the fuel readout so I was low on fuel but not dangerously low. I spoke to my dealer who suggested they tow it to the nearest Ford dealership and I thought .. "You reckon ... I can't see how it will get out of my steep driveway backwards when I can't start the car or steer it for that matter". I was also thinking about what damage that might happen to it because I have heard some Tow Truck horror stories. I had about 2 litres of Unleaded in a can in the shed so I added that just in case and thought, even if it doesn't start, I'll race to the Servo and grab 5 litres of Hi-Octane. Well ...... it started !!!Looks like I had a fuel pickup problem because of the slope on the driveway and not quite enough fuel when it was on the flat surface of the garage. 30kms should be plenty to start a car so I figure the gauge is just too innacurate to rely on.Lesson learnt !!!
Cobra potty trained Legacy Donating Member 1,938 Member For: 23y 5m 7d Gender: Male Posted 17/05/03 02:31 AM Posted 17/05/03 02:31 AM all's welll that ends well ... you had 30km DTE ? how many ltres left in the tank and what was the slope ??the gauge and computer are sus IMO
AMoffat Member 744 Member For: 23y 9m 25d Posted 17/05/03 11:54 AM Posted 17/05/03 11:54 AM Robbo 30 klms is bugger all really. My wife used to have this thing with the EF2 Fairmont we had before the turbo. She has runt the car down to 5 klms to go and not run out. But we also have a steep drive. And once the car had 50klms to go, and wouldn't start. I had to do the same as you. Then after that, if the ar was parked on the street I knew to be careful and take money with me because it was sure to have no fuel in it.Conversely with the turbo, I have managed to be the one to fill it, even if it is just down to one quarter. I don't trust that my wife will pay the extra for Optimax.
Phantomxr6 Legacy Donating Member 452 Member For: 23y 5m 16d Gender: Male Location: Razorback NSW Posted 17/05/03 12:12 PM Posted 17/05/03 12:12 PM Don't trust the gauges, I have run mine to minus 18km on the readout & still only put 65.4l in it.
Guest Craig Guests Posted 17/05/03 09:50 PM Posted 17/05/03 09:50 PM As I have a fuelcard I never let mine go below a 1/4 and I always use PULP.
xrdreaming Legacy Donating Member 1,693 Member For: 23y 8m 3d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 17/05/03 10:41 PM Posted 17/05/03 10:41 PM Hey Robbo, Might be an idea to get the fuel filter changed at the next service, just incase it has picked up some nasties from the bottom of the tank.
Robbo Member 249 Member For: 23y 10m 1d Location: Sydney Posted 18/05/03 07:37 AM Author Posted 18/05/03 07:37 AM Yeah .. it is due for its 15,000 soon.
fordboy1981 Legacy Donating Member 2,076 Member For: 23y 8m 14d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, Vic Posted 18/05/03 09:07 AM Posted 18/05/03 09:07 AM two things:1. why were you leaving her outside in the rain!!!!!2. you put super (leaded fuel) in your new unleaded car?? do you have ant idea what that will do it?? the engine will be fine but the cat will get way too hot and melt!!!!you silly, silly man robbo!!!! Dave.
Guest Guests Posted 18/05/03 11:10 AM Posted 18/05/03 11:10 AM fordboy1981, you mean all I have to do to get a high performance cat is put super petrol in the old slug.How much does the core of the cat melt away ,or does it obstruct ex flow? Someone told me to smash up the cat internals for more ex flow. Not that I would.
Robbo Member 249 Member For: 23y 10m 1d Location: Sydney Posted 18/05/03 12:23 PM Author Posted 18/05/03 12:23 PM All fixed Mr fordboy1981 smarty pants. Read it again.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now