Bf Auto Vs Manual Transmission

zafeniak

• Member For: 17y 5m 26d

Hey guys!

I am new to this stuff, I had a look around but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for and I thought you guys could help me.

I am planning on purchasing a BF XR6 Turbo MKII, however I don't know whether to get the 6speed manual or ZF 6speed auto.

I saw the gear ratios on the ford website and the auto gear ratios were much smaller in every gear in comparrison to the manual box. Would this mean it would accelarate faster with an auto gear box?

I've read heaps of reviews and all of them say the clutch is really stiff on the manuals, but that doesnt bother me too much, I just dont want to be losing speed by getting the manual box, what do you guys think?

WOuld there be a difference in 1/4 mile times and 0-100km/h times?

CHeers guys, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 26d
WOuld there be a difference in 1/4 mile times and 0-100km/h times?

The auto is definitely quicker, and the ZF 6-speed auto is a very good box.

Brian

• Member For: 17y 5m 26d

Hey guys thanks for the help, but what are your reasons for prefering the Auto over the manual? lol.. I am quite disappointed to hear this news... I thoguht you guys would have liked manual better.... lol

What time difference are we looking at between the two in lets say a 1/4 mile?

Cheers

• Formerly XR6NA
  • Member For: 18y 4m 20d
Hey guys thanks for the help, but what are your reasons for prefering the Auto over the manual? lol.. I am quite disappointed to hear this news... I thoguht you guys would have liked manual better.... lol

What time difference are we looking at between the two in lets say a 1/4 mile?

Cheers

I think there have only been 2 manuals that have gotten an 11 second 1/4 while the autos get into the 11's easy. That is if you modify them. Stock I think they are pretty much produce the same times.

Edited by XR6NA

• www.australianflag.org.au
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 2d

Mate if you are into dragging being it on the track or lights, then the Auto is fool proof. Howevr the manual is fun and can be toughened up for heaps of poweer the auto is a bit of an unknown quantity in that area.

Scotty

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 5d

The Auto is best for the Turbo because it stayes on boost between gearchanges, where the manuals loose boost between changes. This makes a noticable difference in the 0-100 and 1/4 times.

I have always been a diehard manual driver, but the ZF is a very clever gearbox. It will hold gears around corners, change down under braking and hold gears longer when you are flooring it. It learns your driving and responds to it.

I suggest you arrange an extend drive of both cars back to back and I think you will see why most people are choosing the ZF over the manual.

As for the strength of the box, there have not been many reported problems and several people are running over 300rwkw without issue.