turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 25d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 19/07/06 12:08 PM Posted 19/07/06 12:08 PM OK.... so my band did not break as I thought.... but the kevlar lining was completely gone. Too much slippage caused frictional heat, which eventually caused metal to metal scoring of the drum surface. Here's a couple of pics of the 2-4 band which lost its lining, and the resultant drum damage. The drum could have been machined/linished smooth, but I've opted for a new replacement.too much applied torque is the culprit.... around 800+ Nm @ 3000 rpm and this was still with street tyres. More clamping force for the band is required.... or I might have to regrettably reduce torque below 3500 rpm for reliability
saleen Big Gun Legacy Donating Member 4,170 Member For: 24y Gender: Male Location: NSW Posted 19/07/06 12:17 PM Posted 19/07/06 12:17 PM OK.... so my band did not break as I thought.... but the kevlar lining was completely gone. Too much slippage caused frictional heat, which eventually caused metal to metal scoring of the drum surface. Here's a couple of pics of the 2-4 band which lost its lining, and the resultant drum damage. The drum could have been machined/linished smooth, but I've opted for a new replacement.too much applied torque is the culprit.... around 800+ Nm @ 3000 rpm and this was still with street tyres. More clamping force for the band is required.... or I might have to regrettably reduce torque below 3500 rpm for reliability ←Mine blew again last week.
xrdreaming Legacy Donating Member 1,693 Member For: 23y 8m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/07/06 01:31 PM Posted 19/07/06 01:31 PM Yep I have worn out 3 bands just like that Tom
turbotrana Member 2,586 Member For: 23y 6m 9d Gender: Male Posted 19/07/06 02:31 PM Posted 19/07/06 02:31 PM getting the box to shift as hard as possible helps substantially. If your gearbox builder is just doing it via the S5 solenoid, the band burning will occur prematurely. Mod the box via elimating the S5 completly takes it a step further with ultimate shifts and prolongs the life of this band. See what you builder is doing. Not all boxes are modded the same.
Ninka Legacy Donating Member 1,850 Member For: 23y 9m 16d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 19/07/06 02:32 PM Author Posted 19/07/06 02:32 PM Maybe there are enough of us around with really powerful auto's to start looking at some serious re-engineering of the box I'm thinking of custom bands, and special gear sets, to get consistent performance with 400 rwkw or more What do you think
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 17d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 19/07/06 02:33 PM Posted 19/07/06 02:33 PM Why would we need that Ninka you only want 370rwkw remember...
Ninka Legacy Donating Member 1,850 Member For: 23y 9m 16d Gender: Male Location: Perth, WA Posted 19/07/06 02:53 PM Author Posted 19/07/06 02:53 PM Why would we need that Ninka you only want 370rwkw remember... ←I know, I know, but then I just got thinking, what if I try this, or that or this or that or this or that, ohh no, my world is starting to spin
JP300 Legacy Donating Member 842 Member For: 21y 27d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 19/07/06 03:19 PM Posted 19/07/06 03:19 PM My box just got rebuilt by one of Tunehouses engineering shops in Sydney (I do not know who) and they are giving me a 12 month warranty for the box to 400 rwkw.I will be out to WSID in a few weeks ... See how it goes!
ms700 Moderating Team 10,170 Member For: 23y 8m 9d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 20/07/06 12:30 AM Posted 20/07/06 12:30 AM My box just got rebuilt by one of Tunehouses engineering shops in Sydney (I do not know who) and they are giving me a 12 month warranty for the box to 400 rwkw.I will be out to WSID in a few weeks ... See how it goes!←It will be interesting to see exactly how you go with the new box.How much power are you putting out at the treads?
rjs Legacy Donating Member 525 Member For: 23y 9m 14d Location: Sydney Posted 04/08/06 08:27 AM Posted 04/08/06 08:27 AM My box went some time ago, lost 2nd and 4th gear. I can still put it in reverse but other than that, 1st and 3rd and still holding up. I am getting a rebuild done in a weeks time through C and V and will warranty the box for 12 months. Hopefully this rebuild should last.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now