Overboosting

SavageF6

• Member For: 11y 10m 17d

When it first started playing up I took it into ford and that was a very costly experience as the diagnostic was $110 straight up then they pulled it apart and said the coil packs were cracked and needed replacing which lucky enough my ebay ones turned up that day and they said to do the plugs aswell while they were at it.Then another late night phone call with bad news that it wasnt those but the boost solenoid which was only $50. Which they replaced then all good,until 5000 ks later.Work was under parts warranty but after $680 they said itd be $110 for another diagnostic if it wasnt those parts playing up so ive lived with it for 35,000 kms lol. I have gone to ford distribution centre and bought two more solenoids and yeah nothing.Pulled them apart and sprayed them up numerous times and it does make a difference. just pulled it apart and ford have put there own "ford" plugs in it so im putting NGK iridiums in atm and cleaning the throttle body so il let u know what happens.

and no havnt touch the turbo line filter cos I wouldnt know where to look lol. I have a brand new 8psi actuator so if it aint the plugs il have another stab at it but I just cant nudge that last bolt on the actuator bracket

• Member For: 12y 3m

I'm getting used to living with mine until my next service, I can only replicate the issue with 100% throttle so day to day it's not really a massive issue.

It's strange Haydo that a replacement solendoid fixed the issue temporarily and then it returned 5000km later. For the sake of $50 I might get a solenoid myself and see what happens.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 9d

and no havnt touch the turbo line filter cos I wouldnt know where to look lol. I have a brand new 8psi actuator so if it aint the plugs il have another stab at it but I just cant nudge that last bolt on the actuator bracket

Where did you get the actuator as that sounds too big being 8psi. The stock tune only runs something like 6 psi and a 8psi actuator will not go lower than 8 so you would maybe require a tune as it will push more boost.

Maybe someone else will be able to shed some light on this a bit better than me.

• Member For: 11y 10m 17d

No luck with the spark plugs. Coil were fine and they dont need replacing but the spark plugs were filthy so new ones are in and I cleaned out throttle body too.Better on fuel now but still got the "brrrrr" boost cut up high end. As a last resort I think il have to one weekend make an attemp at pulling the turbo out. Um I actually bought the actuator off ebay and it was pretty cheap about $85. I spoke to a mechanic about it and he said the barcode on it reads for example "676767867676-8" and the last unit is the rating so yeah somehow I scored a 8psi one. And unlike some other peoples cars mine will be boost thru all gears if your low or mid throttle but as soon as u flog it shel cut out.

yeah the solenoid from the ford distribution center in Newcastle was only like $49 and they had heaps in stock and its really easy to swap them over and I was hoping itd be a simple fix so good luck with yours oh and while uve got it off put a lil bit of wd40 in the lines.

I have seen people flogging these solenoids and the lines on ebay second hand and saying they are worth $160+, just ring up your local ford parts and get a price

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member For: 11y 9m 18d

hey guys I know its been awhile but didnt want to start a new topic anyway to the point I have a ba xr6 turbo today was driving the t punched it and just backfired like a shotgun went off in the back seat and it felt fast compare to before but that could be becouse I done boost solenoid maintenance. has anyone had this problem before

tracion is stuck on aswell so could be tracion I really don't know?

• Member For: 13y 3m 9d

A boost gauge is a valuable tool if you think you are over-boosting. It doesn't have to be mounted properly, just taped somewhere is fine for trouble shooting.