Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 11m 9d
  • Location: Auckland
Posted

Some thoughts please.

Whenever I come home from driving the T I automaticaly see how hot the

intercooler is and always it is cool or at worst slightly warm. Recently I lifted

the bonnet and found that the hose between the IC and the throttle body was

very hot and the longer the car sat the hotter it got.

Surely this is detrimental to have cool air from the IC and hot air to the throttle

body. I realize that there is heat soak from the engine which heats up the hose

the longer it sits but if you are taking the car to the drags and sitting in line

burnouts..etc, surely the hose must be producing warm air which is not good.

It seems to me that the Cobra system where the hose goes straight into the plenum would be the most efficient as there is no heat soak in the hose as it

is on the other side of the engine away from the heat.

I dont want to go changing the system that I have now and have a question.

Would wrapping the hose in header wrap make any difference, or would I be waisting my time and money?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :spoton:

Thanks, Bill.

PS...I bought this subject up before but was'nt sure if I mentioned header wrap. :spoton:

Posted

The less plumbing the better :spoton::spoton::pinch: but what ya gunna do,to change stuff cost you monita...

vik...wanna change stuff??? spend some monita,speed costs$$$

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Townsville
Posted

It cant hurt wrapping it as the heat from the exhaust does get extreme at times.

Brett

  • Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 3m 8d
  • Location: D SHIRE!
Posted

Sell it and buy a V8 :laughing::fool:

  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth
Posted

When the cars on boost and running hard do you think the air would have time to heat up? its travelling at very high speed and air is a fairly poor conductor....what do you reckon?

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Newcastle NSW
Posted
When the cars on boost and running hard do you think the air would have time to heat up? its travelling at very high speed and air is a fairly poor conductor....what do you reckon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, if what your saying is true, then an intercooler wont work either?

  • Team Bute
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 2m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted
When the cars on boost and running hard do you think the air would have time to heat up? its travelling at very high speed and air is a fairly poor conductor....what do you reckon?

So, if what your saying is true, then an intercooler wont work either?

No Eugene.... What Lucas1 is saying, in practical terms, is correct.

Think about the relationship of exposed surface area to volume ratio.....

Big difference between an IC and a smooth bore pipe.

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Newcastle NSW
Posted
When the cars on boost and running hard do you think the air would have time to heat up? its travelling at very high speed and air is a fairly poor conductor....what do you reckon?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, if what your saying is true, then an intercooler wont work either?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No Eugene.... What Lucas1 is saying, in practical terms, is correct.

Think about the relationship of exposed surface area to volume ratio.....

Big difference between an IC and a smooth bore pipe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I know, I was in a Nasty mood when I put that up, there would be an advantage, but not alot, an IC is designed to tranfer heat, a smooth rubber pipe isnt, but anything you do to keep the inlet temp down will make a difference.

18 rwkw just by spraying water on a intercooler, 5th run, engine as hot as hot, sprayed the cooler for about 10 seconds with a garden sprayer, then did the run, 18rwkw, straight up.

I think it would help more on the dyno(poor airflow in engine bay etc) than on the raod, but cruising through traffic would be much the same.

I have seen a few guys with ceramic coated exhaust manifolds and turbo housing, with a good result in lowering under bonnet temps.

Much like running a cooler thermostat with the edit, cooler under bonnet temps.

  • Team Bute
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 2m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

too right about under bonnet temps, eug,

I think there IS a need for a practical (and neat) method of getting heat out of the engine bay.... especially in modified T's.

Some have talked about removing the rubber seals front and rear of bonnet....

Any feedback? cheap way out, but how effective?

A nice looking bonnet vent/scoop/duct system might be the go.

Just so hard to make something which IS functional and actually looks good.

tom

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 11m 9d
  • Location: Auckland
Posted
Sell it and buy a V8  :spoton::diggit:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An watch all the T's Pass you buy! :spoton:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No way :spoton:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...