Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • The 'nice guy'
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 6m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney (Area around Ryde)
Posted

Do we have some members with some tax expertise or past experience?

I use my car for work - sales - so a percentage of all expenses, lease repayments etc are tax deductible.

Most of this amount is by way of car allowance.

Can anyone imagine a $6000 expense for an APS Phase II + valve springs + engineers certificate as being allowed as an expense in the same way?

Then again I'm sure I could get invoices for "Replacement Exhaust" + "Replacement Cold Air Intake" and so on.....no lie there.

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Newcastle NSW
Posted

I will let you know in a month or so.

I have all of my invoices as services etc, not parts.

I do alot of K's my car is 9 months alod and has 45k on it, so we shall see how we go, I also have a perasonal car too that allows me to use the ute 100% for work.

Maybe if you had an invoice for replace damaged parts not covered by isurance etc???

  • The 'nice guy'
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 6m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney (Area around Ryde)
Posted (edited)

Yeah, utes are BEST for the tax issue. No friggin around with % of personal use you lucky bas*ard.

I'm actually considering getting it done (or at least paying in full) in the next 9 days if it's deductible to take advantage of an immediate refund of course.

I can't find any info to say it's not deductible. A percentage will always be for personal use in a sedan. Even a tyre pressure guage or weekly car washes are deductible for those not in the game.

It does occur to me that maybe the tax dept have a ruling for this type of thing where it falls into 100% personal use even on a car used to obtain income - having "tyre frying" power doesn't provide for income. :stirthepot: I guess a huge sound system or custom interior or flames and so on would be viewed the same way.

Then again, who is to say I'm not a nutter who just replaces bits of his car all the time.

Re your point: I can't see that as a car purchased in April and comprehensively insured that such amounts wouldn't be covered by warranty or insurance.

Edited by Power
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 25d
  • Location: Mexico
Posted

I may be wrong, but I believe that with any personal asset claimable as a business expense or % of it, you can claim depreciation on the business usage. e.g. if you bought sat nav for your vehicle, which you use for work, then that can be depreciated and claimed.

Similar to maintenance on your T, just done call it a performance upgrade!

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 4m 1d
Posted

No problems claim away a car related expense is a car related expense.

A new cleaning mit keeps the car presentable for carting your clients around and an edit makes the car run more efficiently with better fuel consumption..........oh and also helps with client relations as well :stirthepot:

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 4m 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

You can't claim performance enhancements. Well you could but that would be fraud....

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

Being married to a CPA accountant has its advantages :blush: .

I can tell you that there is a very grey area when it comes to performance mods to the car and claiming them on your tax.

You also cannot claim any mods that will take the value of the car over $57k. This means that if you pay $55k for your car you could claim up to $2k in the first 12 months as a tax deduction, but over that amount you can only depreciate it over the life of the car.

I fell into this trap, it is better to buy a $20k car and spend $30k in mods as you could technicially claim the whole $30k. You also need to remember that the FBT will be higher as modding adds to the overall value of the car.

The government has made things MUCH harder to rort when it comes to cars :gooff: .

I made the mistake of buying a $60k car and then wanted to spend $10k on mods with the belief of being able to deduct them......wrong :crybaby:

So I now have a $60k car with only depreciable mods, that will make my FBT bill much higher.

IT SUCKS :tease:

Guest mercurysteve
  • Guests
Posted

I only have serviceable, repairable items. Certainly not mods.... :crybaby:

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 10m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

could the edit be claimed as an overboost fix as ford have had so much trouble over this issue?

  • The 'nice guy'
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 6m 7d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney (Area around Ryde)
Posted

Appreciate the advice & comments. Something to work with. :thumbsup:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...