APS & UniChip modifications

aps

• Member For: 21y 2m 7d

this is all good news, but as everyone else has pointed out, some questions remian unanswered....such as

*the removability of the chip for services and the like ?

*does the computer log the new power data onto its system so ford knows what you have been doing ?

*is this running on stock boost or have the boost levels been modified ?

*what type of exhaust change has this chip been combined with, if any ?

*does it improve acceleration at high revs or low revs. as conflicting stories seem to be arising ?

Still, very promising indeed, but I believe xr6t owners should know this info before considering any such modification.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Faster than any BTA,XTC,Autotech, Nizpro and Tunehouse car
  • Member For: 20y 10m 2d

how come in june motor mag they quoted 295klw and on this site its 275klw for the aps upgrade

• potty trained
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 30d

APS is still finalizing the various stages ... the MM referred to the Six-Shooter ....Stage 1 is 280 ... Stage 2 is 330 ...etc etc ... but this may change :thumbsup:

• Member For: 20y 11m 1d

Dont get too excited over APS's power figures , as a wrx owner and a current member of the wrx club I have seen on a few dyno days that the APS systems cant make the claimed power figures at the wheels.

Although it is hard replicate conditions, on several of Sydney's different 4wd dynos at different dyno days the APS fitted cars could not manage their claimed output.

Saying this though APS produce great products and do alot more testing and development than most all I am syaing is that dont always look at peak power gains.

I would prefer to have a car/ute that produced alot more torque and mid range than top end power because you spend more time driving in this range. lets face it our cars are not race cars

Guest cul08r
  • Guests

junior,

I think you covered one point in your post that should be clarified. For a vehicle to make a claimed power output, all things must be equal to the test vehicle, or improved further. As I am sure you are aware, thinks like ambient temp, oil type, diff ratios and boost pressure (especially) will effect dyno readouts. As far as I know APS do the most research and offer a guaranteed product, something that many other back yarders don't.

I will most likely go the APS route when my car arrives.

Andrew

Guest IMTRBO
  • Guests

Hmmm not to sure........ I dont see the point of upgrading power unless you got the suspension and brakes and drive train ready first.. Driving the XR6T the rear end is pretty Loose I know it is a rear wheel drive traight but I will be spending my cash on a set of konies and bushes and a custom tremec gearbox b4 any such power upgrade will take place .... I think brakes are iportant issue as well... If there is any one from APS reading this you say state the UNICHIP EMS is piggy Back System ... I been doing up cars for a while and my defination of a piggy back system is that you plug the factory loom into a sandwich plug and the UNICHIP Piggy backs off that... I rang up APS and found out that all they do is junction wires... HMMMM BYE BYE WARRANTY ... And you dont need Ford to look at the factory Ecu logging when there are these massive modification's on the engine loom... Another thing is that air flow into the radiator is already at a criticle stage. HAS APS done a bit of research with that MACK TRUCK Intercooler. I know for a fact that the top half of the radiator is doing most of the work to keep the eninge cool what is going to happen when sitting in traffic on the way to work and engine overheats cos of now air flow .... + How much boost does it take to fill that damm thing up Ford have put in dohc and variable timming to reduce turbo lag .... I am not knocking APS and I think they have done a great job pioneering with the XR6 Turbo and bringing it out to the 300+KW but I am a little concerned with the way it has been done ... The air Intake is in a better position than the ss induction air intake but would have been better to relocate the battery in to the boot and put the air filter on the drivers side..... Less Air Flow !! Can any1 shed some light on this ....

This is MY PERSONAL OPENION I DONT INTEND ON STIRRING UP TROUBLE .... :hmmm:

• Member For: 20y 11m 1d

Ex- Rexer

that is what I meant by saying in my post " Although its hard to replicate conditions" I was meaning temps humidity etc and I also stated that they do more testing and developement than others.

If I modify do my T I will probably go with Herrod but only if it is covered under Fords warranty and at this stage as far I know only mod that is covered under warranty is Herrod cat back exhaust.

• Used to work at the Ford Proving Ground!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 1m 28d

The power these mods are able to get is simply awesome. Appearing very easy!

I am amazed however as to the amout of people who "SAY" they are willing to piss there whole engine and driveline warranty into the wind! I for one could not afford to fork out the money to replace the standard driveline if it died in a big way! Ford wont cover crap with any computer mods done, or anything else! I think you'll find the transmission will cost atleast 2k to replace with a standard one, more for performance one, IRS nd diff centre would be a fair bit and I know that in the past that a standard 6 cylinder motor new was over 3k in earlier falcons so the BA turbo 6 will be sh*t loads more! thinking of a 6 from a skyline GTR is 6k. adding that up it would be atleast 10k if you had to replace it! ouch big time! each his own but the reason I by a new car is cause I dont have to worry about anything going wrong. IMO by doing this stuff you may as well be playing in an old falcon. Give me an XP ute with the xr6T motor and then let me at these mods but in new car. not for me!

And as others have said. what about the brakes and suspension mods. That will easy be around another 10k! to do properly and have it able to handle the power. otherwise it will end in tears if using the standard stuff!