APS & UniChip modifications

aps

• SportCompact.biz
  • Member For: 21y 16d

And how do you think the unichip gets interfaced with the engine management if its not spliced into the wiring loom?

Do you think this happens by magic or something..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys,

Here’s my view on the questions posed on XR6 Turbo power up enhancement.

We have not had time to conduct 0-100 kph or 0-400 m times to date, though we will make a test vehicle available to Motor magazine and Wheels in the near future for accurate testing. I can say from driving the XR6T auto, that the car feels very strong in the mid RPM range and pulls strongly all the way to redline. Best guess would be a mid 13 second quarter mile; possibly better, in ideal conditions.

I have spoken to a number of people at Fo Mo Co and the official policy is that any modification may void engine warranty. In particular, modified exhaust systems and increased turbocharger pressure may void engine warranty. – We will have to wait and see on this issue.

We expect to release the Unichip computer in early May. We still have some exhaustive testing to complete to ensure impeccable driveability and to find the highest possible torque figure that we believe the standard drivetrain will cope with.

At this stage price is not finalised, though I expect cost for installation and tuning of the Unichip computer to be approx. $1595 (inc. gst) including before and after power graphs.

We will post power figures for the manual version within the next few weeks. – I think you guys will be blown away with the incredible gain in torque and power.

Peter

Guest MercuryXR6T
  • Guests

Peter,

Thanks for your response.

The upgraded performance sounds fantastic. However I would not want to do anything which would void my warranty.

Would it be feasible that Ford would ever approve a modification of this type.

If your business was accredited in this way, I am sure more owner would opt for what is a very cost effective upgrade.

• WASP GT
  • Member For: 21y 5m 7d

I notice that this chip has addressed the initial 'lag' in the lower rpm. That's worth it alone. A conservative estimate of 275kW (219rwkW) XR6T, which besides the Unichip is otherwise stock standard is very, very promising.

Simply add a 'cats back' exhaust upgrade and your close to 290kW at the fly.!!!

That's one hell of a performance for a $44k car with a $3500k upgrade. (est. $2000 exhaust/$1500 Unichip)

As for factory warranty, it's a risk for sure, but their are ways of better managing this element. I would find a Ford dealer you feel comfortable with that understands and has a history with Ford performance modifications to client cars. When purchasing your new car get them to arrange the Unichip/exhaust for you as part of their sales package and their own extended dealer warranty. This way, when your car is serviced, they are familiar with it and it's in their interest to look after you. If there are drive train warranty claims in future, they should be your best bet in having it addressed either on the factory or dealer warranty.

Their is still a risk of course, but in my opinion a more manageable one.

You may pay a little more, but it's worth it.

• Member For: 21y 1m 2d

my brothers friend had his xr6t car as a test for unichip.the chip they used has the same rear wheel kw as a 300kw gts.he said it has better fuel economy and quicker accelaration in high revs.the chip is only for autos so far.cost is around $1600.cant wait to get one myself!

Guest Bathrone
  • Guests

I have alot of respect for Air Power Systems and Peter Luxon. This company knows what to do about forced induction. Theyve got a good track record with the 200SX mod kits theyve got, and the WRX ones as well. Its my hope APS will release a series of kits, with each kit improving power and torque along the way. I consider the 200SX S15 intercooler by APS to be one of the best available anywhere in the world for the S15. If anyone can do a good intercooler for the Ford, its APS. :blush: