Guest XR6T Monster Guests Posted 01/06/04 06:17 AM Posted 01/06/04 06:17 AM After spending hours on this website over the last two weeks (while waiting for the arrival of my new turbo toy ) I have read a fair bit about problems with brake shuddering.Yesterday I mentioned this to the dealer who told me that there was a bad problem with the brakes but as of October last year Ford made the pads thicker and out of a different composite.I am interested to know from those that have purchased a XR6T in the last 4 - 5 months if you have had problems with brake shudders or was the dealer dealing me a load of Thanks for your replies.
sahilson Member 42 Member For: 22y 6m 14d Location: Perth WA Posted 01/06/04 06:24 AM Posted 01/06/04 06:24 AM Only had the T for a month now (about 2500km) and still loving it.Never had any hint of brake problems or any other issue apart from minor delivery items to be fixed up at first service.Trip computer detailing fantastic mileage (avge of 12.9l/100) although not racing - the occasional squirt to bring a smile to the dial.
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 20d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 01/06/04 06:32 AM Posted 01/06/04 06:32 AM I heard the later cars have different brake calipers, haven't heard about different pads but that makes sense. Some have complained that the pedal feels too "hard" now and they feel they have to press the pedal very hard to make the car stop.
sharkey Member 337 Member For: 22y 9m Posted 01/06/04 06:40 AM Posted 01/06/04 06:40 AM I have a December 03 build with about 12,000km on it.No sign of brake shudder. Brakes are a bit firm on the pedal to start with but you get used to it pretty quickly.
cqae Member 229 Member For: 22y 11m 1d Posted 01/06/04 06:46 AM Posted 01/06/04 06:46 AM I have a DEC '03 ute with nearly 13,000km on it, no sign of brake shudder. I have hear that we got the newer desgined calipers, but am not certain, all I know is I have no shudder & hope it stays that way, 'cos to me, machining discs is not a fix, it is a quick patch that will cost us money in the long run.
geea Site protagonist Legacy Donating Member 4,320 Member For: 23y 4m 25d Gender: Male Location: At the lights, waiting for you. Posted 01/06/04 07:41 AM Posted 01/06/04 07:41 AM I had a mate who has driven mine and also driven a newish (2004 build) "T". He said the newer ones brakes didnt feel right and that there seemed to be a bit of push before the brakes worked. He said the difference was very noticable.Geea.
Blown BA In Your Face Member 6,195 Member For: 23y 6m 28d Gender: Male Location: Peninsula Posted 01/06/04 08:18 AM Posted 01/06/04 08:18 AM I have a December 03 build with about 12,000km on it.No sign of brake shudder. Brakes are a bit firm on the pedal to start with but you get used to it pretty quickly. I'm with him
ms700 Moderating Team 10,170 Member For: 23y 8m 6d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 01/06/04 08:22 AM Posted 01/06/04 08:22 AM From Oct 03, the callipers are different if my memory serves me correctly. They definately did change callipers sometime!
Guest dingah Guests Posted 01/06/04 08:28 AM Posted 01/06/04 08:28 AM Mar 04 - yes they are different callipers, no shudder squeal or any other issues. Pedal feels very firm but now used to it.Dingah
harasn Used to work at the Ford Proving Ground! Legacy Donating Member 306 Member For: 23y 7m 10d Gender: Male Location: Geelong Posted 01/06/04 08:37 AM Posted 01/06/04 08:37 AM As of about Nov last year they made the changes for the brake shudder fix. This being The same front calipers with high roll back pistons to pull the pads off the disc more,and different pads with a slightly different compound. There was something else they did but I forget it now! This resulted in a softer and dead feeling pedal. Not a hard pedal from straight away but one with more travel to get the brakes working! There are other, better plans ahead but they wont be coming till BA2 time!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now