-
Posts
51 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by Snailracing
-
My favourate plate And its mine!!!
-
HELL NO!!! Inlet manifold was removed to do all the work on it, then I cleaned it, cleaned it again, and was still paranoid so I then took it down to the local engine shop, got them to acid dip it, the steam clean in a special Automotive Parts wash machine! Pictures were taken after I bolted it back on the engine again.
-
I took a bit of a break after the xmas holidays (I worked through!) so I didn't get back to the shed to take photos of my work. But I have now. Don't get too excited this is the first time I've done anything like this, so don't expect "WOW" my main goal was to remove the ledge that was present on both sides of the port so at least there was less of a restriction.
-
Do Bsa Makes Ford's And Fpv's Wheels?
Snailracing replied to turbomark's topic in Suspension and Handling
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=138589836 In NZ and have a few scratches, but are genuine! -
If you look at the photo of the fence only (the last one) I think you'll see to galvinized poles that are bent? Also the damage doesn't really look that bad! A bumper cover and a guard and a bit of paint, Unless the rear has any damage, as it appears to be 'parked' fairly close to the fence.
-
Expecting Loop Mode Problems
Snailracing replied to SAM08U's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
I too was originally hoping to run the factory ECU in my XR6-T/XF Flacon conversion. And the people who were willing to help me STILL think it can be done. From what I can gather the biggest issue is the non-live tuning (Look into the SCT tuner as I think this is real time). From what I've been told the 'Flash tuner' can do what ever you want it to do (If you know what your doing), but since it's not live you have to first figure out what you want to do (Most I talked to were not 100% with what needs to be done). The way they were going to figure it out was to aquire a donor BA XR6-T Hook my ECU into it, and keep removing unrelevant code untill it worked. To me this seemed to be a very labour intensive (expensive) excersise - It could take days to figure out what code needs to be removed and what needs to stay, and I'd need to have the donor call and the tuner, and my car all together untill it is sorted. For me I'm going with either a WOG Ecu, or a V500 Wolf (leaning towards the Wog, as he seems to know everything about these engines and is willing to share it with me/us) But as he has said to me my decision must include what my installer/tuner is comfortable with (which is the Wolf) The Duel VCT is Hydrulicly controlled so most newer ECUs can control them (it works the same as Toyotas VVTi system) So unless you want to be the Guinie Pig and get all this done to use the factory ECU (once done though, you could make $$ of selling it to others) It looks like a aftermarket ECU is still the way to go -
Walbro Gss341 V's Bosch 040
Snailracing replied to Snailracing's topic in Engine Management & Fuel Systems
Install = FREE (As I'm doing it myself!!) But then again the job is some much eaiser in my XF ute than in would be in any of your guys late model stuff! BTW my ute already has a XH XR8 tank in it! -
OK So I've gotta replace the intank pump in my Ute. I've narrowed it down to these two but haven't made up my mind on which one. Both flow approx the same amount (Bosch 235L/hr Walbro 255L/hr) and both are available over the internet within $50 of each other. Pro's and Con's I can think of: Pro's Bosch - It's Bosch (Proven quality and reliablilty) Walbro - Slightly cheaper, Flows slightly more, More available on the net at any given time Con's Bosch - It's Bosch (How much more am I paying just because of the name?) Walbro - Have heard complaints of noise, they don't quiet have the same reputation as the Bosch Version, Are they all created = as a lot of people have them for sale! Make your vote and add any comment you feel worth while!
-
If there still on my ute's engine, and they are still in one peice you can have them! I'll let you know next time I have a look at the Ute!
-
This isn't a piggy back or anything? A true stand alone ECU? Would like to know more! Best I talk to 'the' wog!
-
OK, so I was going to use a Flash tuner to run my XR6-T conversion into my XF. But whilist my Auto sparky mate still thinks it could be done, we added up what we thought it was going to cost (loom, flash turner, tuning etc) it's going to be faster and cheaper to run an aftermarket ECU. So which one to use? Yeh Motec is a great product, and will/does/has run the engine, as will Autronic. But what about the more financually friendly ones out there? I'm thinking along the lines of the WOLF V500 and the new Haltech E11v2? Anyone heard anything, or have had anything to do with either of these? Or have you seen, heard of anything else? As far as I'm away these are the only 2 that can run the DOHC VCT in the BA's I6 engine. Any suggestions?
-
Yip, Injectors and Valve Springs would be my recomandations.
-
More than likely your right, but would be interested to know for sure. Even though they have VVT, there might be some slight benefit in altering the factory cam base phasing. Do the Hondas for example with VVT still go in for these vernier gears? ← Nup, they have a little vtec control box they can fiddle with... apexi or someone makes them... we'll have em in about 10years lol ← No we won't! the VTec system on Honda's and the Mivec system on Mitsi's use a simple ON/OFF switch to lock the cam followers onto the higher profile cam lobes, Where as the VVT on the Falcon engine twists the cam(s) (inlet on BA, both on BF) through from what I understand can be upto 90deg's! VTec controllers will not work on Falcons!
-
Hope you guys treat me nicely, as I'm a bit old in the looks department! 1988 XF Falcon Ute! 2002 BA XR6-Turbo engine + 5 speed gearbox EL XR8 4 spider L.s.d running 2.92:1 diff ratios 32 spline axles (ABS Versions), EL disc brake rear conversion, running DBA cross drilled and slotted rotors, and Bendix Ultimate pads. XH Rear bumper complete with XH 'soap on a rope' spare wheel carrier BA 18' Wheels, 330mm VT Clubsport (Sorry) DBA 4000 series front rotors, Nissan Skyline 4 pot calipers XH XR6 EFI fuel tank, with extra Bosch 044 Motorsport fuelpump EF XR6 Seats, EB Center console, EF floor mounted hand brake Alpine CDA-9853 headunit, Alpine SPR17LS 6.5' component speakers, Momo Steering wheel Malipassi Rising rate fuel reg, Performance Springs Valve Springs, 3' exhaust with 1x Vortex muffler, 600x300x105mm intercooler WISH LIST Finish the bloody thing and get it going, and all the parts I need to finish it!
-
My T Is Most Likely Going To Be Gone
Snailracing replied to XR68UZ's topic in General Automotive Talk
Depending on what spec your S15 is it could have come with either a 5spd manual (Strong compaired to some but if you break it the S14 gearbox is stronger) if its the 6spd manual start looking for a S14 (Turbo) gearbox now! As for the SR20DE-T Don't let anyone tell you that these engines aren't strong, as they are! There is plenty of 500hp versions over here in 'the markets been flooded by jap imports' New Zealand. Hell I even know of a S13 with SR20DE (non turbo) that was running a 200hp shot of NOS on a standard engine! S15 is by far the best looking of all the Silvia's/200SX's, and the best thing is you can get so much stuff for them (Suspension, brakes, exhausts, intakes etc etc etc) And if your looking for a good cheep wheel package the 17's off R34's look great on them! Only draw back I can see on the change is the whole 2 door 2.3 seats! and that you'll now be labeled as a Ricer Boy Racer! So you better go buy some neons! -
Your don't need a TT for doing that! My mate was towing his caravan in my old ute, and he passed a VR Clubsport and a Nissan Primera going up hill! F'N big caravan too, and that was only a OHC EF engine that we had turboed!
-
As it always is. If you are after more power start with the basics. Fit a good exhaust, If your looking for cheep maybe a secondhand XR6T exhaust with a good set of extractors. Next or at the same time better breathing something like a SS Inductions Big Mouth kit and a replacement washable Air Filter (K&N or simiular). Then you might want to try a larger throttle body (Extra performance is questionable) or a adjustable fuel regulator (Having said that I think the factory reg is part of the fuel rail so might not be able to be changed easily). Then more likely than not a flash tuner with a custom tune. Also fuel quality plays a huge effect on performance and it has been proven time and time again that you get better fuel economy on a high octane fuel that a lesser on (I think OZ has 98 octane?)
-
OK So my setup might be a little different to you guys/gals as I'm still running an XF Ute (But soon to be with DOHC Turbo power!). But my system is: Alpine CDA-9853 Headunit Alpine SPR-17LS Type R 6 1/2 Component speakers Apline SWR-1242D Type R 12' 4 Ohm Subwoofers (x2) Alpine MRD-M1005 V12 700W rms Amp Alpine MRP-F450 V-Power 70W rms x4 Amp (For Components) Alpine Applie iPod interface Apple 30GB iPod Video + 2x 1Frad compacitors of yet to be determined brand!
-
The ZF Six speed used in the BF Falcons is the same used pin the XKR and XK8 Jag's and the V8 5,6, and 7 series BMW's. All the rebuild parts are easily avaiable via the ZF parts distributor here in NZ so I assume OZ would be no different. Have had a A/trans rebuilder look through 1 after the plastic sump was damaged on a car transporter and he commented how strong it was (BTW this was only in a XR6 NA). Having said that it didn't last long once all the ATF Fluid spilled out onto the road and the transporter driver kept driving it! If looking for upgrades I would start looking in euro/us car forums for hi HP BMW's and Jag's.
-
I have great success with Norloc washers. Haven't used them in this application yet, but have done the same thing with skylines, evo's, wrx etc etc and they have cured all unwinding
-
Don't know if they are available in OZ or not, but there is a company here in NZ selling Carbon Fibre XR8 Bonnets! Not really my my flavour, but others might be interested to know this.
-
I'm in need of some one with indepth knowledge of Flash tuners. The question would be Why? So here goes. I am in the process at the moment of fitting an XR6-Turbo engine into my XF Falcon Ute. Now on the offset most people would say that I'm wasting my time trying to use the Factory ECU, But I have yet to be shown in positive proof that ANY aftermarket ECU is upto the task of running the engine aswell as the factory one. Yes I understand that they is some very good aftermarket ECU's out there, But I have driven a Motec powered XR6-T, and also a Flash Tuned XR6-T, and the factory flasde ECU was by far a better drive, and yes both were done by professionals (Motec Agent v's Herrord Agent). But what I really want to know is - How far can you get into the factory ECU with a Flash tuner? I've been told that with the Flash tuner the smart sheild system can be bypassed, but what about turning off all the unnessecery (to me) bits like the BCM, A/C, Cruise control, Traction Control, etc etc. Can everything be tuned off so that all I really need is the Engine harness, ECU, TPS sensor (on the pedel) MAP Sensor. Basicly only the bit required to run the engine? Anyone willing to take a swipe at this one? Hopefully someone out there in cyber world can shed some light on this - There's alot of ponential for this in reguards to DOHC I6's AND V8's conversions, and if someone can offer this, I'm sure that more than just me out there would be keen!
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.