QikSmurf Member 246 Member For: 23y 2m 20d Posted 17/04/04 10:25 PM Posted 17/04/04 10:25 PM Hi Guys,This question must have come up before but, what are blow off valves and what is their purpose in life?I was asked yesterday by a colleage of mine, whether my XR6T had a B.O.V. fitted?I know a lot of Riced up cars make a "sneezing" sound between gear changes. Is this the result of having a B.O.V. fitted?My final question is, apart from the sound do B.O.V's serve any real performance function or are they just a wank?Thanks in advance and sorry if its been discussed a million times before 1
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 13d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 17/04/04 11:52 PM Posted 17/04/04 11:52 PM QiksmurfAll Ts have a blow off valve as standard.From memory an upgraded BOV is not required until you are making serious power eg phase 3 etc.Ricer BOVs often discharge into the atmosphere and as such are illegal.A search will provide further detail.CheersWT
ExAreSix TRAITOR Legacy Donating Member 1,063 Member For: 23y 11m 13d Gender: Male Location: Townsville, NQ Posted 18/04/04 12:27 AM Posted 18/04/04 12:27 AM When you back off the throttle and close your throttle body, the intake air suddenly stops. A BOV allows this air to expel from the intake. If it was not expelled, the back pressure would cause the turbo to stop spinning. This sudden halt can cause damage to the turbo, and also loss of boost.
turb06 Dark Knight Mafia Member No. - 666 Member 3,667 Member For: 23y 7m 7d Location: Toowoomba Posted 18/04/04 03:57 AM Posted 18/04/04 03:57 AM The xr6t BOV will make a sound, but it is nothing like you hear on the ricers, if your T is an auto you wont hear it that often though, cant speak for a manual. But they do good things for preserving the life of your turbo. The xr6t unit is known as a plumb back style BOV.
CJF077 The Noble Leader Administrator 4,792 Member For: 23y 11m 20d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Australia Posted 18/04/04 04:09 AM Posted 18/04/04 04:09 AM I got a BOV In my car.. the normal bosch one isnt that loud.. not that you need it to be. I have a GFB one and love the noise.. certainly lets people know its a turbo! :lol: 1
Cro Flower Power Legacy Donating Member 6,114 Member For: 23y 11m 22d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 18/04/04 04:52 AM Posted 18/04/04 04:52 AM I got a BOV In my car.. the normal bosch one isnt that loud.. not that you need it to be. I have a GFB one and love the noise.. certainly lets people know its a turbo! :lol:Actually the standard BOV is loud, I've made mine go off louder than most other after market ones.
ExAreSix TRAITOR Legacy Donating Member 1,063 Member For: 23y 11m 13d Gender: Male Location: Townsville, NQ Posted 18/04/04 05:00 AM Posted 18/04/04 05:00 AM Actually the standard BOV is loud, I've made mine go off louder than most other after market ones. Indeed. Mine is quite loud now that it's dealing with 10psi.Since I've upped the boost, I've had this conversation on two occassions:"When did you get a BOV?""It's always had a BOV""Oh, when did you put the new one on?""New one? It's the factory BOV."Yes, quite loud now. 1
Worpor Member 467 Member For: 22y 7m 17d Location: Perth Posted 18/04/04 05:38 AM Posted 18/04/04 05:38 AM With PhaseII mine is very loud. [Auto] Sounds great
Blown BA In Your Face Member 6,195 Member For: 23y 6m 23d Gender: Male Location: Peninsula Posted 18/04/04 05:44 AM Posted 18/04/04 05:44 AM Take no offence guys but soon we'll have sneeze buckets everywhere
andyturbo Member 500 Member For: 22y 6m 17d Gender: Male Posted 18/04/04 06:20 AM Posted 18/04/04 06:20 AM xr6t's have a blow off valve? when we took one for a test drive I certanly couldn't here one
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now