FGX_Turbo New Member 3 Member For: 6y 5m 3d Posted 29/06/20 10:48 AM Posted 29/06/20 10:48 AM Hello everyone, new member here. Hope you guys can help me with an issue that's popped up. My FGX XR6T has recently developed a ticking/knocking and rattling sound after having it's diff bushes replaced under warranty (bought it from Pickles fixed price about a month ago). Their statutory warranty has been a PITA to deal with, but that's a story for another time. Since I've had it back, I've noticed a ticking sound from the front (somewhere near the engine) and a rattling sound from the rear (somewhere near the diff). I've taken a video of both issues and a mate of mine thinks it may be an exhaust leak and the exhaust rubbing/contacting against something. When in neutral, the ticking noise increases in speed as you rev higher. The knocking sound doesn't start until the engine is fully warmed up. Based on this fact alone, I doubt it's an exhaust leak but my mate has much more mechanical experience than me. I've tried comparing the knocking sound to different videos on the forum and youtube and judging from that, it seems that it could be anything from exhaust leak, bent conrods, bad crankshaft bearings or even piston slap. I really don't trust the Pickles workshop to be able to sort this out since they created the problem in the first place... Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Please move this thread to another area if it's not the appropriate topic. Car details: - 2016 FGX XR6 Turbo - Ex-highway patrol car (cop chip and extras removed) - 81,000km on odo - No mods - Recently had diff bushes replaced - All fluids except power steering have been replaced with Nulon recommended products (Engine, Trans, Diff, Radiator, Brake) Knocking sounds: Exhaust rattle:
OZYWALKER XR50T Legacy Donating Member 2,795 Member For: 13y 5m Gender: Male Location: Western Sydney Posted 29/06/20 10:58 AM Posted 29/06/20 10:58 AM I wish there was such a thing as a cop chip lol.Maybe it's a loose flexplate? Kind of has that sound to it. 2
FGX_Turbo New Member 3 Member For: 6y 5m 3d Posted 29/06/20 11:30 AM Author Posted 29/06/20 11:30 AM Thanks OZYWALKER, I'll have to look into that.
k31th less WHY; more WOT Site Developer 30,113 Member For: 18y 5m 22d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 29/06/20 12:12 PM Posted 29/06/20 12:12 PM 1 hour ago, FGX_Turbo said: When in neutral, the ticking noise increases in speed as you rev higher. The knocking sound doesn't start until the engine is fully warmed up. Based on this fact alone, I doubt it's an exhaust leak but my mate has much more mechanical experience than me. metal expands when it heats up, so it could easily be vibrating with the engine revolutions and tapping against something after it heats up with no sign of it before heating up, so it definitely could be an exhaust thing.
El Andrew Legacy Donating Member 2,040 Member For: 11y 5m 9d Gender: Male Location: Canberra ACT Posted 29/06/20 10:15 PM Posted 29/06/20 10:15 PM You can get a pre-purchase inspection from a mechanic for about $60 or so. I'd do that and explain the issues so they can diagnose and list on the report. If you do this before the stat warranty expires, you have something locked in from a qualified mechanic that describes the issues.That way you should have an easier time if Pickles are difficult to deal with or are trying minimise the issues to avoid rectifying.I did this the same thing with my car for piece of mind before the statutory warranty expired.
FGX_Turbo New Member 3 Member For: 6y 5m 3d Posted 29/06/20 10:17 PM Author Posted 29/06/20 10:17 PM Thanks guys, appreciate the help!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now