ZF rebuilders Adelaide

smithy123

• Member For: 4y 2m 26d

Hey all.

I am after recommendations for an Adelaide based trans builder to rebuild and strengthen my ZF 6speed auto. Preferably 6r80 input shaft mod rather than billet shaft. Anyone used any local shops? what was done to your box? how much power and torque is it holding and how much abuse is it taking. All advice will be appreciated. Where to go and even where to avoid.

Cheers

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Not sure over in SA. I dont think Jet does them. He probably can help pull it out though.

WE have great gearbox re-builders in WA.  XFT engineered the 6R80 conversion many gears ago. If you want to do it once and have a bullet proof box, that's my recommendation. Just let the builder know the power output and they will build the box to suit.  XFT are pushing over 1200rwkw through theirs. 

Edited by arronm

Yeah wanting something bulletproof. I am putting close to 500rwkw through it now but so far I've been looking after the trans with no hard launches, progressive on and off throttle etc, but I am looking to launch the car harder drag racing and I can see the input shaft snapping/twisting the moment I try launch it off the stall with slicks on. I do see a lot of the main players for ZF boxes in Australia are in Perth or Melbourne so maybe a road trip to Melbourne is on the cards or try buy a box outright from Perth and have it freighted over if I can't find someone local. I will look up XFT. Not a lot of options here in S.A.  cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

make sure you let us know how you get on in your build of the transmission and any subsequent driving activities :spoton:

a build thread wouldn't go astray :)

• Member For: 19y 6m 4d

Mike from MV Automatics in Blackwood built my 6r80. His done a few. Box hasn’t let me down and I’m running 750kw @ the wheels. The ZF tune is the tricky thing here in SA. Mike can build the box no problem.

Not many know how to tune them if anyone here in Adelaide. 

ZF is a pain in the arse that's why so many go T400.

In saying that my box is just fine for a good blast on the street, no problems at all.

It doesn’t flare on the 2-3 upshift its solid. 

I haven’t held WOT 3-4 on the street, it’s just to fast and to much risk. Need the drag strip for that.

Give Mike a call for pretty much your only option here in SA. I think his a pretty good bloke and likes his performance stuff and will be happy to work with you if something is not correct.

I have had no issues with his box. 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d
14 hours ago, arronm said:

Not sure over in SA. I dont think Jet does them. He probably can help pull it out though.

Yes I offer a full array of options for my customers from standard overhaul to 6R80 Hybrid ZF boxes and everything in between. Hi stall converters from TCE & Circle D included as per customer  requirements

Warranty and custom tuning is all part of the package and support for Drag strip racing included 

Yes I’m arguably the most expensive but there’s a reason for this that happy customers long forget about when the quality remains ;)

Cheers guys.. Yeah I rang MV awhile back and soon as I mentioned ZF I got a feeling the were not to keen on the job. I have heard nothing but good things about their autos but I get it if you can pick and choose the jobs you would rather do than why not. @JETURBO I will send you a PM. Thanks again guys.