BF xr6 turbo not making boost

Rive_mk2

• Member For: 5y 5m 26d

Hey guys.. my BF xr6 turbo has had the check engine line come off and on recently.. its very gutless to say the least.. took it to a workshop 2 days ago and they plugged a scan tool into it and it said wastegate fault.. not sure of open or stuck closed from memory.. its not making boost. The mechanic said his vr buick would eat it.. he was a half assed mechanic only took it to him because of his diagnostic tool.. could the turbo be smoked or the wastegate fault could be power issue? Thanks.

Forgot to mention its all stock. 150,000km odo

• Haha 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

well, if it's not making boost, then the wastegate would be stuck open, if that's the actual fault... but it could be almost anything to do with the turbocharger system that's causing it to make no boost.

• Thanks 1

I pulled piping off front of turbo, fan spins beautifully.. no play at all.. very frustrating.. I have it booked in with ford on  Monday to have a look at it, but my understanding is that they dont replace wastegates.. if wastegate needs replacing they just replace the whole turbo.. have you ever heard of this issue before?..

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, with a stuffed turbo is the most common one due to oil starvation from the oil feed filter...

but the wastegate being stuck open is simple enough to check by taking off the dump pipe to inspect the wastegate.

• Thanks 1

When hose come off there was oil puddled in turbo.. not heaps but enough to say its been getting oil.. if wastegate stuck open is that repairable rather easily or does that call for a new one? So pissed man.. always wanted an xr6 turbo and I finally get a mint lookin one and it makes bo boost for god sakes.. be like someone longing for an ss v8 and finally get one and it runs on I <3 Bananasing 6 cylinders. Frustrating.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

yeah, life just gives ya lemons sometimes, sometimes those lemons are cars...

The little bit of oil in the intake of the turbo is totally normal.

if it's stuck open, it depends on the reason it's stuck open as to what you have to do to repair it, but nothing is really too expensive/hard to fix in that area, assuming the turbo and actuator are OK.

• Thanks 1