Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • New Member
  • Member For: 8y 10m 18d
Posted

Hey, 

 

I have a BA mk2 turbo and I noticed about a month ago the turbo was fluttering when I drove it hard. The car HAD just the factory diverter valve installed. So I assumed this was on the way out (being a 2004 car) and I bought an atmospheric BOV for the sound and to hopefully stop the fluttering.

The BOV is nothing special, just a $40 one off eBay that said it was compatible with my car. I put it on yesterday and no matter how I adjust the spring, under high boost, the turbo will flutter. This is the part that confuses me when I sit at 1700 revs I can hear the BOV is open no matter how stiff or soft the spring is but then I also assume it isn't opening enough when I come off the throttle, pushing air back into the turbo and making it flutter. 

 

The flutter only occurs when I floor it. Otherwise the bov will vent correctly.

 

So I was wondering;

  • is the issue something like the bov not being wide enough?  
  • did I jump the gun on assuming the turbo flutter was an issue? (I've heard some cars just do it)
  • should I try a different spring and lubricate the piston of the bov? Or just bite the bullet and get a decent one?

 

Any help would be appreciated, cheers 

  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 18y 5m 23d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Which BOV did you buy?

You want a recirculating BOV if you want it to be as quiet as possible. If you like the psht sound of vent to air then that's fine too.

  • New Member
  • Member For: 8y 10m 18d
Posted
37 minutes ago, k31th said:

Which BOV did you buy?

You want a recirculating BOV if you want it to be as quiet as possible. If you like the psht sound of vent to air then that's fine too.

 

Sorry, should have linked it:

 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Dual-Port-Blow-Off-Valve-DIRECT-BOLT-ON-XR6-Turbo-BA-BF-FG-BOV-Dump-25mm-FPR/172620426633?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

  • XR50T
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 13y 5m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Sydney
Posted

The OEM valve will be the quietest one you'll find. Just make sure its plumbed correctly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...