traffic Member 51 Member For: 11y 2m 24d Gender: Male Posted 07/07/15 04:02 AM Posted 07/07/15 04:02 AM It seems that most (if not all?) tuners use the SCT flash tuner and software for the tunes. Has anyone had an ECU tune without this or similar, and would/wouldn't recommend? If I can get a tune and save the $700-800 on the SCT tuner that would be preferable.
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 2d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 07/07/15 04:20 AM Posted 07/07/15 04:20 AM there are 2 other software companies that can tune the falcon ecu, still not as complete as SCT. 1
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 07/07/15 04:31 AM Posted 07/07/15 04:31 AM Ratter,Legit question what do you consider as required but missing from Hpt vs SCT for a B series or and FG series Turbo?
PTR_NITRO_FG Legacy Donating Member 3,214 Member For: 13y 4m 4d Gender: Male Location: NOR Perth Posted 07/07/15 04:34 AM Posted 07/07/15 04:34 AM Yep...its one of the sucky things about the XR6T.In WA the big guys only tune with SCT....so perhaps it helps make the tune spot on (as ratter seems to be saying?). Ratter....if I buy a 2nd hand xcal 3....will any of them work? I.e. an old one from like when they first came out? Or is there a particular software version that needs to be on it? Obviously aside from the fact it needs to be AU model and unlocked...
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 2d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 07/07/15 05:36 AM Posted 07/07/15 05:36 AM Ralph, I think it's Brendan that just posted again today/yesterday about the FG torque table being incorrect, there are others that are not there that are there with SCT, I'm not really going to go into them as I use these tables to help fudge what can be viewed by somebody trying to copy my tunes, but as an example there are still tables missing that affect the torque management of the 4 speed auto that I asked for years ago.PTRXcal 2 still works with a car that is not ZFa ZF equipped car requires a Xcal 3 or X4X4 has bigger internal memory handling capabilities and is required in some casesall must be an aussie sold one 1
Ezy2Confuze Member 899 Member For: 16y 11m 14d Gender: Male Location: West Perth. Posted 07/07/15 11:02 PM Posted 07/07/15 11:02 PM X4 has bigger internal memory handling capabilities and is required in some casesall must be an aussie sold oneRatter,Just a quick question on this point, I have an XCAL 3 that came with the car and am going to get a stage 3 intercooler from the current PW group buy, then a few more bits and pieces before getting everything tuned, is it worthwhile getting an XCAL 4 if it allows better tuning and therefore more power and or economy as well? Or is the price vs. what it gives you not really worth it?
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 2d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 08/07/15 12:23 AM Posted 08/07/15 12:23 AM keep your Xcal3 unless your tuner has an issue with the file size, it accesses the same file information 1
BenDoCo I'm getten too old for this s**t Legacy Donating Member 4,509 Member For: 13y 5m 22d Gender: Male Location: A big bridge over a river in South Australia Posted 08/07/15 03:08 AM Posted 08/07/15 03:08 AM Yeah the file size on an x3 'can' be an issue
PTR_NITRO_FG Legacy Donating Member 3,214 Member For: 13y 4m 4d Gender: Male Location: NOR Perth Posted 08/07/15 04:58 AM Posted 08/07/15 04:58 AM Please decode that for us Don lolSo what makes the file size large? Does it depend on the quality of the tune I.e. cheap tune will only have minimal tables or whatever altered and good tune will have many many things altered?If the tuner used to do good tunes on the X3....then they should be able to do the same nowadays? (as I assume most tuners only sell the X4 cause its the newest item and has better display features, looks better, etc). TL;DR .... what would make a tune file too large rendering the X3 unusable? Specific to my example....2008 XR6T Sedan, ZF, 1000cc inj, plaz turbo side, plaz 800hp cooler, colder thermostat, regapped plugs, surge with single 044, venom bolt in cat, BP 98....could I get a good tune using X3? (possible ZF tune in the future).
BenDoCo I'm getten too old for this s**t Legacy Donating Member 4,509 Member For: 13y 5m 22d Gender: Male Location: A big bridge over a river in South Australia Posted 08/07/15 05:38 AM Posted 08/07/15 05:38 AM As I mentioned in my build thread Pete, my ECU bricked itself and wouldn't allow any changes to the tune to be flashed onto it.I don't know the exacts of it but Rob Herrod worked out that it was the file size that caused the bricking.Remembering that there are 50 odd tables that can be adjusted in the transmission and god knows how many in the engine, with the two combined -- pit lanes trans tune file and the amount of tables my tuner told me he played with in the engine tune -- it made the file to large for the ECU to accept it. If the tune file has a crap load of changes from standard then there is a lot to change in the ECU.........I think I'm right here -- someone will set me straight if I'm not.Rob Herrod pointed those involved to the work around with my ECU and all sweet now.Sorry to go a bit off topic OP
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now