Tune Without Sct Flash Tuner?

traffic

• Member For: 8y 9m 19d

It seems that most (if not all?) tuners use the SCT flash tuner and software for the tunes. Has anyone had an ECU tune without this or similar, and would/wouldn't recommend? If I can get a tune and save the $700-800 on the SCT tuner that would be preferable.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 29d

Yep...its one of the sucky things about the XR6T.

In WA the big guys only tune with SCT....so perhaps it helps make the tune spot on (as ratter seems to be saying?).

Ratter....if I buy a 2nd hand xcal 3....will any of them work? I.e. an old one from like when they first came out?

Or is there a particular software version that needs to be on it? Obviously aside from the fact it needs to be AU model and unlocked...

• Member For: 17y 10m 27d

Ralph, I think it's Brendan that just posted again today/yesterday about the FG torque table being incorrect, there are others that are not there that are there with SCT, I'm not really going to go into them as I use these tables to help fudge what can be viewed by somebody trying to copy my tunes, but as an example there are still tables missing that affect the torque management of the 4 speed auto that I asked for years ago.

PTR

Xcal 2 still works with a car that is not ZF

a ZF equipped car requires a Xcal 3 or X4

X4 has bigger internal memory handling capabilities and is required in some cases

all must be an aussie sold one

• Like 1

• Member For: 14y 6m 8d

X4 has bigger internal memory handling capabilities and is required in some cases

all must be an aussie sold one

Ratter,

Just a quick question on this point, I have an XCAL 3 that came with the car and am going to get a stage 3 intercooler from the current PW group buy, then a few more bits and pieces before getting everything tuned, is it worthwhile getting an XCAL 4 if it allows better tuning and therefore more power and or economy as well? Or is the price vs. what it gives you not really worth it?

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 17d

Yeah the file size on an x3 'can' be an issue ;)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 29d

Please decode that for us Don lol

So what makes the file size large? Does it depend on the quality of the tune I.e. cheap tune will only have minimal tables or whatever altered and good tune will have many many things altered?

If the tuner used to do good tunes on the X3....then they should be able to do the same nowadays? (as I assume most tuners only sell the X4 cause its the newest item and has better display features, looks better, etc).

TL;DR .... what would make a tune file too large rendering the X3 unusable?

Specific to my example....2008 XR6T Sedan, ZF, 1000cc inj, plaz turbo side, plaz 800hp cooler, colder thermostat, regapped plugs, surge with single 044, venom bolt in cat, BP 98....could I get a good tune using X3? (possible ZF tune in the future).

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 17d

As I mentioned in my build thread Pete, my ECU bricked itself and wouldn't allow any changes to the tune to be flashed onto it.

I don't know the exacts of it but Rob Herrod worked out that it was the file size that caused the bricking.

Remembering that there are 50 odd tables that can be adjusted in the transmission and god knows how many in the engine, with the two combined -- pit lanes trans tune file and the amount of tables my tuner told me he played with in the engine tune -- it made the file to large for the ECU to accept it. If the tune file has a crap load of changes from standard then there is a lot to change in the ECU.........I think I'm right here -- someone will set me straight if I'm not.

Rob Herrod pointed those involved to the work around with my ECU and all sweet now.

Sorry to go a bit off topic OP :)