boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 14d Posted 12/04/15 07:47 AM Posted 12/04/15 07:47 AM Guys,My stock BF XR6T was pinging, so I took car to a tuner to have it diagnosed on the dyno.Tuner looked at fuel etc...but ultimately couldn't find the cause of the pinging...(wasn't a lean issue according to tuner)So it was suggested that I custom tune it as this would give me more power and the tuner would also be able to knock some timing out at the points where the car was pinging. (not really solving the issue but working around it)Car runs much better now but when I give it a kick back it still pings...I'm at a loss as to what is causing the pinging...anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking?Assuming its not leaning out, and the boost sits on about 10psi...(custom tuned to this)...Could it be plugs?...restrictive cat?....I don't think many tuners are keen to spend the time to diagnose such a problemAny help or suggestions at all are appreciated...
Wilko16 Legacy Donating Member 1,672 Member For: 18y 10m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 12/04/15 07:49 AM Posted 12/04/15 07:49 AM (edited) Just read its stock...What fuel did it have in it ? Have you changed the plugs recently an put the wrong heat range in? A stock car detonating sounds pretty extremeAnd to solve it you have just thrown a tune in? Bit of a bandaid I think Edited 12/04/15 07:51 AM by Wilko16
boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 14d Posted 12/04/15 08:14 AM Author Posted 12/04/15 08:14 AM Yeah it was stock and yes I agree tune was a band aid solution...Always run 98, either Ultimate or Optimax.Plugs are are genuine Ford...thinking if I should change them as a starting point to trying to diagnose the pinging...I agree stock car pinging is extreme, but haven't been able to get it diagnosed...I'm a quite baffled as to where to start looking...especially since tuner couldn't diagnose it on the dyno run...
Wilko16 Legacy Donating Member 1,672 Member For: 18y 10m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 12/04/15 08:17 AM Posted 12/04/15 08:17 AM My guess with out know much about the ECU side of things Is possibly the timing advance/retard is doing something strangeWhere did you take the car to be tuned? Because the tuner should not let a car out that is pinging
Bizkets is Drunk? Too heavy needs boost Member 5,929 Member For: 13y 1m 27d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 12/04/15 08:37 AM Posted 12/04/15 08:37 AM Turn the music up. If I hear a weird noise in the car I just turn the music up and hope for the best. 1
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 5d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 12/04/15 08:45 AM Posted 12/04/15 08:45 AM take the car back, tuning should not have been done while there was a problem 1
JETURBO ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE... Legacy Donating Member 23,708 Member For: 18y 4m 1d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 12/04/15 08:48 AM Posted 12/04/15 08:48 AM Never should a car be tuned if there is existing problems 2
JVK Legacy Donating Member 751 Member For: 20y 9m 14d Gender: Male Location: North West Hot Hell,VIC Posted 12/04/15 07:26 PM Posted 12/04/15 07:26 PM You more than likley got a bad tank of fuel. I filled my tank with 98 while traveling and all I got was ping. Had to take it easy and cruise till the next refill and all was good.
boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 14d Posted 12/04/15 09:50 PM Author Posted 12/04/15 09:50 PM Yeah I agree that the car shouldn't have been tuned if it was already pinging, but I was told the pinging could be tuned out...obviosuly this isn't the case...I might take it to someone else, so they can look over it with a fresh set of eyes.
boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 14d Posted 12/04/15 10:10 PM Author Posted 12/04/15 10:10 PM Guys,If the AFRs are within normal range, then what else could be causing the pinging?The tuner said he did decarbonise the engine...so I am assuming he ran an upper engine cleaner through the car...I also asked if it could have been a possible exhasut restriction causing the problem, and was advised that there were no indicative signs of a restriction in the exhaust...Should I be looking at changing the plugs?...Not sure what else is left...assuming the ECU has been looked at...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now