discostig Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday Legacy Donating Member 13,798 Member For: 18y 10m 12d Gender: Male Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure Posted 03/09/14 05:33 AM Posted 03/09/14 05:33 AM (edited) Yeah probably was you in a thread at some point. Glad I knew about it before I split the key...by which I mean the tyre shops rattled it to pieces. Once that's done a good tip is to get a deep socket the next size up and hammer it back out via something, like my cheap ratchet handle here Edited 03/09/14 05:38 AM by -Stever- 1
"Captain Retard" Member 1,417 Member For: 12y 5m 4d Gender: Male Location: Shellharbour NSW Posted 03/09/14 08:06 AM Posted 03/09/14 08:06 AM This only happened to me on Monday!I used a 7/8 socket and they came off pretty easy.Got the same response from Ford( not made anymore)So if you've still got these on your car ,look after them!I'm just gonna put standard nuts back on.
Wilko16 Legacy Donating Member 1,672 Member For: 18y 10m 15d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 03/09/14 08:56 AM Posted 03/09/14 08:56 AM Lock nuts only slow the owner down unfortunately
hawlass Legacy Donating Member 1,161 Member For: 18y 10m 27d Gender: Male Location: left right out Posted 03/09/14 09:53 AM Posted 03/09/14 09:53 AM So how secure are the 'internal spline' type lock nuts? Like these- http://www.toyota.com.au/static/images/171d8-accessories-alloy-wheel-nuts-620x349.jpg
Wilko16 Legacy Donating Member 1,672 Member For: 18y 10m 15d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 03/09/14 10:56 AM Posted 03/09/14 10:56 AM They are even worse, a lot more chance of the lock but key breaking...Plus these can still get it off - http://www.awdirect.com/product_images/additional/large/1265/easy-off-metric-twist-socket-set-access-tools-eo0.jpg
barnz Member 3,047 Member For: 12y 10m 16d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 03/09/14 11:42 AM Posted 03/09/14 11:42 AM Lol I'm with dags, I don't even have them. Such a gimmick for obvious reasons.
FiftyOne Legacy Donating Member 1,145 Member For: 13y 3m 5d Gender: Male Posted 03/09/14 09:19 PM Posted 03/09/14 09:19 PM Yeah probably was you in a thread at some point. Glad I knew about it before I split the key...by which I mean the tyre shops rattled it to pieces.Yup. My friendly tyre joint destroyed mine last week. Frustrates me to hear that we can't source replacements Once that's done a good tip is to get a deep socket the next size up and hammer it back out via something, like my cheap ratchet handle here
Shamilton New Member 12 Member For: 12y 1m 15d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast Posted 03/09/14 10:28 PM Author Posted 03/09/14 10:28 PM Thanks guys. They came off with a 7/8 socket surprisingly easy. Really does defeat the purpose of having them in the first place.I just can't believe that the Ford dealership service department told me to use a chisel and hammer or a torch to cut them off when it's so easy to use a socket. I wonder how many wheels they've damaged in the past using their method.Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. 2
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 9d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 03/09/14 11:41 PM Posted 03/09/14 11:41 PM 7/8 th of an inch = 22.2mm
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now