Fg Cams - Beware Of Wear

Bomber

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 7d

As some may of seen on my build thread, I had my valve springs replaced last week to prepare for further upgrades. As part of that job we discovered some lobes, particularly on the inlet cam, were worn to a point the hard casing was looking ordinary.

The car has had new oil every 5k (Nulon 10w40). Has clocked 47k and has had 300rwkw for 40k. The guys are of the view that float was the most likely culprit although the car never had a fluffy idle or displayed any symptoms on the dyno. Only thing was an intermittent, occasional ping on gear change which I put down to fuel variations.

Luckily, my tuner had a set of low klm FG F6 cams so we installed them.

I've since found out that a few shops are finding this. I'm of the view those running 300rwkw should seriously consider springs. The car feels stronger as a result and I could have potentially saved my poor old cams :(

I do have pics but can't load them at the moment (4.2kb max file?)

• Member For: 12y 2m 24d

I've had 400+ for the last couple of months and 300 for over a year before that....stock springs. I'm scared to see inside when the springs get done in a few weeks. How much do a set of standard cams go for?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

As some may of seen on my build thread, I had my valve springs replaced last week to prepare for further upgrades. As part of that job we discovered some lobes, particularly on the inlet cam, were worn to a point the hard casing was looking ordinary.

The car has had new oil every 5k (Nulon 10w40). Has clocked 47k and has had 300rwkw for 40k. The guys are of the view that float was the most likely culprit although the car never had a fluffy idle or displayed any symptoms on the dyno. Only thing was an intermittent, occasional ping on gear change which I put down to fuel variations.

Luckily, my tuner had a set of low klm FG F6 cams so we installed them.

I've since found out that a few shops are finding this. I'm of the view those running 300rwkw should seriously consider springs. The car feels stronger as a result and I could have potentially saved my poor old cams :(

I do have pics but can't load them at the moment (4.2kb max file?)

Why dont you send me the cams or cam and I will section them, look at the case layer depth and check the hardness.

I would say its not valve spring related but poor manufacture.

Pm me

• Like 4

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

Could it also be related to full synthetic oils- some claim full-syn does this..

THIS!! Been saying it for years now

• Like 1

• Donating Members

^^^ I was going to send them to TBRE arronm for him to use for a custom grind for somebody else. However, given this problem seems to be becoming more of an issue if somebody is prepared to do some R&D, I think this would be beneficial for forum members.

Not sure how much a set of standard cams go for willo88. I was just very fortunate with my timing and being a good customer, it cost me nothing.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

^^ pic is on AFF under 'valve springs' for those keen to see what it looked like.

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

This is my FG cams. 10000ks, fully synthetic

Look close you can still see the manufacturing polishing marks.

Absolutely NO wear

IMG_2708_zps0ef8bbbb.jpg

• Like 2