Jump to content

Final Drive Ratio's


Recommended Posts

  • Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 29d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

They are good for 340-360rwkw, beyond that, yeah, go the nine.

  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • SportCompact.biz
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 24d
  • Location: Canberra
Posted

Its a myth that certain driveline components are good for X amounts of kilowatts. All driveline components are rated for TORQUE not POWER, TORQUE is the only thing that matters.

  • Mal Wood Automotive
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 29d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Yes, but how many people do you know that know what torque is? In the end, a certain power output at a certain revs will give a representation of torque levels.

  • 3 months later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 24d
Posted

I have been thinking about a ratio swap using the Territory gears (if possible) but now I am not too sure. Using a program called cartest I have extracted to following figures for everyones perusal (is that even a word?)...

To get more accurate figures I need exact cd, % weight over front wheels and ground clearance.

With the normal BA XR6T final drive ratio (3.45) the following is theoretically correct:

240kw and 450nm

0-100km/h 5.8 secs

0-400m 14.2 secs

Top speed 251km/h (no limiter)

330kw and 603nm

0-100km/h 4.7 secs

0-400m 13.0 secs @ 177km/h

Top speed 274km/h

390kw and 706nm

0-100km/h 4.2 secs

0-400m 12.5 secs @ 188km/h

Top speed 288km/h

With a final drive ratio swap up to 3.73 all these times seem to go backwards due to excess wheelspin. This based on 18X8" wheels. If you could get traction that would be another story.

240kw and 450nm

0-100km/h 6.4 secs

0-400m 14.2 secs @ 159km/h

Top speed 246km/h (no limiter)

330kw and 603nm

0-100km/h 5.6 secs

0-400m 13.0 secs @ 178km/h

Top speed 259km/h

390kw and 706nm

0-100km/h 4.8 secs

0-400m 12.5 secs @ 188km/h

Top speed 259km/h

And with the 4.1 from the AWD territory we get:

240kw and 450nm

0-100km/h 6.3 secs

0-400m 14.2 secs @ 161km/h

Top speed 235km/h (no limiter)

330kw and 603nm

0-100km/h 5.2 secs

0-400m 13.1 secs @ 173km/h

Top speed 235km/h

390kw and 706nm

0-100km/h 4.8 secs

0-400m 12.6 secs @ 181km/h

Top speed 235km/h

So there you have it. These figures appear pretty accurate to me but I'm sure they are not spot on. Give or take maybe 0.2 secs I would think.

Cheers,

Chris

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 24d
Posted

Out of interest, someone with 330kw may even be better off going down to a 3.23 (XR8) if they wanna get better fuel economy. The times are barely slower:

0-100km/h 4.8s secs

0-400m in 13 secs at 175km/h

Top speed 278km/h

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 24d
Posted

Out of interest I thought I would run the numbers on Brians beast. I hope you don't mind Brian. These time are based on 400fwkw (approx 341rwk) and 825nm @ 3750 RPM (got this from another thread) running on 19X9.5" tyres at 35 profile (is this right?) and using the T56 gears.

0-100km/h in 4.29 secs

0-400m in 12.5 secs at 192km/h

Top speed 303km/h!

Well done! Sounds like a very nice ride you have there.

Chris

  • Site protagonist
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 4m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: At the lights, waiting for you.
Posted

CDM using these calculations could you figure out the power of my car using the numbers in my sig. I realise it wont be 100% accurate but it could be a good guide.

I have standard 17' wheels and tyres.

Geea. :k24t:

  • potty trained
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 5m 10d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

the only reason I could think of using 3.7/ 4.1/or higher diff gearsets is to get the weight of the car up and running in the shortest time span ... :glad:

once the car is moving then the diff ratio doesn't come into it much ..... I think :k24t:

top speed is usually governed by either the wind or the power or the limiter ... and the top speed is rarely impacted too much by the diff gear set

2.2c

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 29d
Posted
Out of interest I thought I would run the numbers on Brians beast. I hope you don't mind Brian. These time are based on 400fwkw (approx 341rwk) and 825nm @ 3750 RPM (got this from another thread) running on 19X9.5" tyres at 35 profile (is this right?) and using the T56 gears.

0-100km/h in 4.29 secs

0-400m in 12.5 secs at 192km/h

Top speed 303km/h!

Well done! Sounds like a very nice ride you have there.

Chris

Chris, or with the stock T5 trans, 3.23 to 1 diff ratio and a slightly larger diameter tyre the APS phase III car actually went 307 KPH at avalon recently. :thumbsup:

Peter

APS

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 24d
Posted
Out of interest I thought I would run the numbers on Brians beast. I hope you don't mind Brian. These time are based on 400fwkw (approx 341rwk) and 825nm @ 3750 RPM (got this from another thread) running on 19X9.5" tyres at 35 profile (is this right?) and using the T56 gears.

0-100km/h in 4.29 secs

0-400m in 12.5 secs at 192km/h

Top speed 303km/h!

Well done! Sounds like a very nice ride you have there.

Chris

Chris, or with the stock T5 trans, 3.23 to 1 diff ratio and a slightly larger diameter tyre the APS phase III car actually went 307 KPH at avalon recently. :thumbsup:

Peter

APS

G'day Peter. I knew about the P3 at Avalon which was a tremendous effort however this is just a simple program someone has put together that yeilds reasonablly accurate results. Obviously it can't compete with real thing! :)

Do you know the Coefficient of Drag for the XRT body and the approximate mass (%) over the front wheels? These figures are based on a Cd of .34 which is simply a guess... Thanks.

Chris.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...