Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 21d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 20/01/04 09:44 AM Posted 20/01/04 09:44 AM So is a Phase II system about the limit for reliability of the drivetrain (trans/gearbox in particular)?If Iwent for Phase I kit now and then in the future decided to upgrade to Phase II (or maybe higher!) can you give an indication of how much it would cost (presumably some bits carry over).Thanks for all the info you have been giving us lately Peter, you have really been going out of your way to help.
aps Member 1,505 Member For: 23y 7m 1d Posted 20/01/04 09:50 AM Author Posted 20/01/04 09:50 AM I think that 350 to 400kw would be a nice figure so I plan to go for the Phase lll if priceing is in the 8 to 9k mark, not sure what final cost is on that kit , I read somewhere on the forum that you were going to change some of the specs of this kit, hopefully the price dosnt go up to much.Anyways that's my 20 cents worthCheersTurbo4lt, YER 400KW is a nice round figure and PHASE III is very close to that number. We have upspec'd the package and the performance is awesome for a street car, pricing should be finalised within the next week. Thanks for your thoughts.PETERAPS
aps Member 1,505 Member For: 23y 7m 1d Posted 20/01/04 10:06 AM Author Posted 20/01/04 10:06 AM Since we are talking dollars vs performance I don't think you can go past the phase 1 package. Sure you can get a lot more power with phase 2 and so on but then driveline upgrades need to be looked at so the dollars it would cost would be realatively high in my opinion. Whereas the phase 1 offers a good increase in power but still within the limits of the driveline, I think, am I right on this?No doubt the UNICHIP offers the best bang for buck, there is nothing that I know of that gives a 30 to 40Kw power increase, the computer upgrade is a good place to start when chasing additional power. As I have said b4 the auto is not that bad I am positive that your auto was crook/faulty from day one. Its a shame that the auto problem was not sorted out by ford previous to the power upgrade, in any case let me know how you go with the auto.PETER APS
Guest beaver1 Guests Posted 20/01/04 10:16 AM Posted 20/01/04 10:16 AM hi Peter is there an aps dealer in wa as I want to upgrade to phaze 2 system thanks.
cdm Member 886 Member For: 23y 11m 26d Posted 20/01/04 10:39 AM Posted 20/01/04 10:39 AM I have done centre muffler and K&N panel filter. Next step will be a unichip. With the centre muffler removed and the K&N filter what rear wheel kw can I expect after adding the chip and running optimax? Ideally in the future I would love 350kw neat however I don't have the dollars required for phase 2 or 3. Before I move on to these I will be getting DBA slotted front rotors and better pads and also a Herrod sureshift. In the meantime I think I will sit it out at least another 6 months to see what develops in the market and if there is any price movements.CFM I doubt that the muffler mod or air cleaner will produce any power over the stock power output, that said those mods cant do any harm. The limit of the stock fuel injectors is 280KW, so with the UNICHIP installed and tuned max power will be in the 270 to 280Kw depending on how good the base engine is. From there you will need larger injectors and a very low restriction exhaust system to make further progress.PETERAPS Thanks for the reply Peter. I had a UNICHIP in my old car (AU XR6) and was impressed hence why I am happy to come back to your company. I have noticed you are considering offering the phase one kit with injectors and plug in chip in the future. If you go ahead with this, would it be possible for all the existing phase 1 owners to come in and purchase the injectors to compliment there existing chip? If this is the case, what output would we be looking at for injectors and chip? 300kw? Approximately how much would it cost for existing phase 1 owners to have the injectors fitted and chip appropriately retuned. I think offering this sort of kit would be a good way of reducing the stepping stone in price for the phase 2 kit. On a slightly different not, I think if the phase 2 kit was $5000 and 350kw it would be the best damn bang for your buck in town! However, I guess considering it has already gone through the EPA testing etc it wouldn't be possible to up the power and maintain the 'mean and grean' status. Thanks in advance.Chris
aps Member 1,505 Member For: 23y 7m 1d Posted 20/01/04 10:44 AM Author Posted 20/01/04 10:44 AM Easy Peter, most KW for the least $$$ :lol: From what I have researched in the market place and as I am currently looking for a stage 1 upgrade it is bewteen Unichip and Xede. Xede seem to have an extra 10kw than the unichip, is that a big difference???? I don't know but at this stage I am heading towards you guys as you are heavily supporting this website/club and are regular contributors! Just have to finalise putting the money together :uziman: , probably will have to be around April as the missus won't be happy me spending those bucks before our wedding! :lol:I would have to agree the computer upgrade would be the best bang for buck. I doubt that the xede provides any more power than the UNICHIP at the same boost level(unless the engine is running very lean air fuel ratio's) as the maximum power is governed by the size of the stock fuel injectors.The highest power level of the xr6t engine with stock injectors is 280Kw, if you are told of a higher level then the engine is running very lean mixtures and this will most likely end in Tears. Hey thanks for your input it is nice to know what you guys expect / want from your T.PETERAPS
Geeseman Legacy Donating Member 1,805 Member For: 22y 11m 10d Location: Sydney Posted 20/01/04 10:54 AM Posted 20/01/04 10:54 AM I'm looking at stage 1 with the plug in loom at the moment. As soon as it's available I will install.But, I'm very interested in upgrading the injectors when I put in the chip.What cost are the injectors and how much extra KW would you expect with them and the chip (no extra fuel pump)? Would 300kw be a fair bet, Peter?I'm also waiting with anticipation to hear about aps' brake package for the T as the brakes blow chunks
aaronmihe Upstanding Member Member 759 Member For: 23y 1m 3d Location: Canberra - ACT Posted 20/01/04 11:01 AM Posted 20/01/04 11:01 AM CFM I doubt that the muffler mod or air cleaner will produce any power over the stock power output, that said those mods cant do any harm. PETERAPS Errr - just out of curiousity Peter, if these mods do nothing worthwhile why is it plenty of people here have got dyno sheets showing otherwise?In my expereince (not with the T) an improved intake especially can give significant improvements in driveability and measureable power gains. Maybe not att he peak level but simply by padding up 'operating ranges'. You even say so yourself that improving these are not a bad thing, so if they have bugger all effect then why are they not a bad thing?To throw a different spanner in the works... PWR apparently does a bolt in intercooler that has a 1.5lb pressure drop versus the 4.5lb of the stock unit. It's also supposed to be better at cooling... How will that affect a stock T... Especially in terms of throttle response (keeping in mind we have the injectors and the factory ECU still cutitng the fun).... If what I read in other posts is correct this cooler is also quite affordable.From my standpoint I'm doing intake, leaving the exhaust alone and would consider a PnP loomed chip once things evolve a little more. It's early days in development for all the companies and I think you'd agree that WRX products out now are vastly more capable and better than the ones released in the early years (as an example). A.
Silverbullet Member 100 Member For: 23y 1m 16d Location: Brisbane Posted 20/01/04 11:03 AM Posted 20/01/04 11:03 AM Hi Peter,Have you done much work with the XR6 N/A and if so, what sort of power gain has been produced?? I assume a less restricted exhaust would have to be a must in conjunction with a chip even though I would prefer to keep the sound near "stock" because of the large amounts of highway driving I do. Also Hi- flow filter and better air intake would also help I'd imagine. Would the price be similar to the Phase 1 Mods on the "T"??.Cheers.
aps Member 1,505 Member For: 23y 7m 1d Posted 20/01/04 11:14 AM Author Posted 20/01/04 11:14 AM I have read some stuff on here that some people have removed the centre muffler and gain a small kw increase only to be robbed of this a few months later by (presumably) the Ford ECU 're-learning'.How much power do I want? How much have you got?! Too much is never enough in my books, though I want a reliable and driveable car. I have driven BCL's Nizpro kitted XR6T with ~330rwkw and it was awesome, made my stock T feel like a Datsun 120Y afterwards, and realistically would probably be enough but over a period of time you get used to the power and would probably want more. The main power limit is probably the back pocket, otherwise the sky is the limit. Other factors of course insurance and who is going to drive the car, a lot of guys probably aren't keen to have their wives or g/fs unleashed in their 350kw+ machine. Then there's the drivetrain to consider, as we know the standard gearbox/trans aren't designed to cope with too much more power and torque over stock, but Iknow you guys are working on a solution to that as well.Seems like APS are on the right track, with different levels of power options and costing you seem to have pretty much all bases covered.Fair enough your comments are spot on. that's the problem with performance, we always want more its a DRUG.There is as always many issues to consider then of course there is the affordability issue and what provides the best bang for buck. Thanks for your reply.PETERAPS
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now