What Made You Feel Good Today

Ralph Wiggum

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 1m 24d

Just started a nine week holiday

We are doing a seven week caronavirus challenge.

Going to Chile, Argentina, Peru, Cuba and Hawaii

1 of 65 possible happy hours

750c932c142096ce8fa515150247c739.jpg

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 1m 16d

haha good work mate... even though you might be one of the at-risk categories, that's taking a decent chance... but good luck

• Like 1

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 1m 24d
15 hours ago, k31th said:

relating the above article/graphs, the "mentions in media" graph has doubled overnight from I billion to 2 billion !!!!!!!!!!!

thought I would share part of an article I found particularly interesting,  while the world whips itself into a frenzy,  this writer is very down to earth 

"The global panic surrounding the coronavirus outbreak is breathtaking in its overreaction. Two nations quarantined. Major events cancelled in areas where there is no coronavirus! Airlines going bankrupt. Hotels vacated. Borders locked down. Stock markets plummeting. (Warren Buffett says it’s time to invest!)

One would think it is the bubonic plague, but it isn’t.

COVID-19, the virus at the heart of the global panic, is a coronavirus,

which is a flu virus.

COVID-19 is the flu.

It kills some people, mostly elderly over 70 in poor health , but it is not particularly deadly in the broad scheme of things.

The vast majority of people who contract it have flu symptoms of varying degrees and go on with their lives.

The death rate is 1-2%. (The death rate on the Diamond Princess was 1%, all over 70 years of age, and in South Korea, where statistics are candid, the fatality rate is 0.6%.)

William Schaffner, professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, warns, “There’s a large epidemic of coronavirus anxiety”

• Like 1

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 13d

As a person with an extremely suppressed immune system.... I hope you have a great time and then go into quarantine before they let you back in. 

I think the complacency of those travelling overseas during this outbreak has been disgusting and the “I’m not at risk so I don’t care” attitude has caused a the extreme jump in cases we’ve seen. 

not digging at you personally.... but I know myself, if I get the virus I probably won’t die, but it will probably keep me in hospital for weeks or months and possibly cause me to be in recovery for 3-4 months effecting my family and myself dramatically. 

The complacency by our government and people has been ridiculous and if we shut our borders earlier, we’re a freaking island ffs. 

IMO you can travel overseas all you want, just be prepared to not come back until such time as we can prove you’re safe.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I appreciate your concerns... but just some context...

1. We can't just "shut our borders" as that's a fairly authoritarian thing to do in the first place and it's tougher to control with the extremely large coastline that Australia has, so it's not much of a realistic option.

2. Complacency? the Government is being overly cautious so far with regard to the recommendation to limit all 500+ social gatherings.

3. People like yourself with compromised immune systems should be taking extra precautions and I'm sure you already are. You can't count on the entirety of the "healthy" population to keep you away from a virulent virus.

4. Travelling overseas isn't an inherent risk, it's only compounding the situation if somebody on one of those travel situations is actually infected. If people are careful in their travel they can also minimize their risk of infection and of course it's prudent to get yourself tested if you're starting to feel symptoms before you get a chance to infect anybody.

this podcast is a good listen as the guest is a health and infections expert at a worldwide level of expertise hospital (John's Hopkins)

• Like 1

• Bob the Freaking Builder
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 13d

I legitimately disagree with every single thing you’ve said. 
I cbf discussing, but I’ll just say, closing our borders (to unnecessary travel) is possible and quite potentially could have lessened the economic hit. Gatherings of 500 or more being banned is a smart move and probably not enough. 
Symptoms take up to 14 days to become apparent which compounds the risk and makes overseas travel and arrival back into the country legitimately concerning. 

I control the most populous area in Adelaide with foot traffic alone of 400,000 every week and have had extensive information in regards to the necessary steps we should be taking as a community and while I agree being alarmist and over anxious isn’t a positive, there are steps we aren’t taking and as a society this just proves how we value our own lives and lifestyles over the health and safety of our greater community including the most vulnerable. 

Its actually a disgusting attitude when you think about the people who’ve been over seas, felt unwell, kept walking around rather than self isolating, because they care more about their own interests than the elderly they’re potentially killing. 

By playing down the effect in our aged community as not a big deal actually shows the level of empathy and compassion as a whole our community has. It’s revolting.

it shows older people don’t matter to us and we don’t care if a few thousand of them get knocked off. 

in addition, the impact on our health systems is a huge concern, given 1 in 5 will require hospitalisation, while the death toll is majorly impacting the aged, the impact on the health system could be catastrophic. 

To summarise: 

- do I think the media has caused an panic when it was unnecessary? Yes 

- do I think we could take further more dramatic immediate steps to ensure our entire community is safe and lessen the length and severity of an economic down turn? Yes 

- do I think people who arrive back in the country after holidaying should be placed in immediate 14 day quarantine and all non essential travel should be restricted or stopped? Yes 

- do I think if we had of done this immediately our economy would be stronger within Australia overall? Yes 

- do I think this is a greater sh*tshow of how selfish our country is as a whole by implying that a death toll is okay because it’s only the aged who will die? Yes 

- Do I think people have over reacted instead of being proactive and intelligent? Yes

Edited by Mrs Jeturbo

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

You just said you disagreed with everything I just said and then only disagreed with one specific thing which I of course know that the elderly and infirm are the most at risk (and even then, the mortality rate only comes up to around 15% or 1 in every 6 cases for 80+ year olds) and we should be as proactive as possible to minimize infection transmission for those who are most at risk.

You didn't disagree with the fact that those who are most at risk of mortality are of most benefit by isolating themselves socially which avoids the rest of the healthy population having to go specifically out of their way (significantly reduce or remove all social contact) since they can happily go about their day and live with the approximately 0.6% chance (roughly 5 times the chance of the overall mortality rates of influenza) that an infection could be worse than the symptoms of a normal cold/flu.

Anyway, I'm just sprouting data from the informationisbeautiful link earlier and the podcasts I've listened to on the topic and I trust those people as they're experts and collations of accurate (as far as we know) data.

49 minutes ago, Mrs Jeturbo said:

Symptoms take up to 14 days to become apparent

Almost all cases notice symptoms within 2-14 days of being exposed to a known exposure point with the average being about 5 days. It's rare for anybody to be able to transmit the infection while being asymptomatic; this is the key point. 14 days isolation once symptoms are noticed has found to be sufficient isolation time to ensure transmission does not occur, so that means from the time you're symptomatic to the time you're unable to transmit the virus (period of communicability), is less than 14 days. This means self-isolation for approximately two weeks upon occurrence of symptoms is a good course of action.

There's no current accurate data as to whether the incubation period (time between when you contract a virus and when your symptoms start) and communicability period overlap. But as far as estimates go from experts, it's at most a day or two. This means that people aren't generally being reckless (except in rare circumstances) by continuing to be social while currently asymptomatic.

Essentially you're not risking those who are at risk by following these conventions, which to me points to the actions of the Government so far to be patently over-reactive.