Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 7m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

I need some info on how to strengthen the rear end of my 2011 manual FG xr6t ute. I've already gone through 2 sets of rear axles as they have been bent both times and are extremely expensive to replace.. My question is what is the best setup to go that will minimise the risk in bending another rear axle or doing any further damage to my diff?? My ute is lowered with King Spring Superlow rear leafs and springs up front. Thought I would mention that it also gets a ton of axle tramp. My thought was to change all the bushes in the rear end to super pro including the leaf and diff bushes, and adding some bilstein shocks, possibly even a rear sway bar. Does this sound right and could someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Tim

  • Will do skids for food
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 11m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Perth SOR
Posted

What ever happened to good old tramp rods ?

They used to be fitted to all sorts of leaf spring cars back in the day.

I even had a rotary RX4 on NOS that I had one fitted to (only had one layin around in the shed) and it stopped it dead !

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 11m 15d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

I know you don't want to hear it, but raise it a touch? Don't get me wrong looks awesome that low but if it's costing you money you have to say 1 day enough is enough. Just a touch like SSL height?

  • Like 1
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 17d
Posted

I am in the same position, I get a heap of tramp and I am worried about a bent axle. I have heard Caltraks are brilliant, but not sure of the legalities and where one could source it from. I am going to have a chat with Pat @ wholesale suspension and see what he says. Will post back when I hear some info.

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 7m 26d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

Let me know what he says mate. Be keen to hear

  • Forged Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 8m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: SW Sydney
Posted

The biggest contributing factor is what I call Leaf spring "wind up"

When the car accelerates the diff wants to rotate, the only thing stopping this on a falcon ute is the leaf springs that are bolted to the diff from underneath. When the leaves are flat (from lowering) it is very easy for them to wind up into an "S" shape while the diff twists. Obviously the leaf wants to spring back to its normal position and when this happens it creates a hopping action that translates in to axle tramp or wheel hop.

As Boganspeed mentioned some form of trailing arm which can be a tramp rod or caltraks etc will be a physical link to stop the diff rolling and winding up the leaves.

The downside of a tramp rod is that it can restrict the movement of the rear suspension (since it will only move in an arc) and can be less than prefect for a street car that needs to be compliant.

Adding to what Pazzo said, having leaf springs with some camber in them (the curve of the leaf) will also help as this makes it hard to wind them up. The problem with that theory is that the falcons don't start off with a lot of camber in the factory leaves, this is why Kings make their leaves with a reverse eye which retains camber in the leaf but alters the eye position so that the leaf is mounted higher or closer to the body.

  • Like 1
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 17d
Posted

Pat has given me some ideas of what we can do to resolve the tramp. Not a fan of the Caltracks purely because it may make the ride pretty harsh in the car. Going an alternate option with new shocks/saddles/bushes. If I can book in with Pat shortly I should have a firmer idea of what will and wont fix this issue. Hoping this solution fixes it. Will post back once I know where its at.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 4m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: north QLD
Posted

I

have no tramp problems at all with mine..
I
have pedders leafs and have not had a drama at all in the 1 1/2 years
I
have owned it.. my old ute
I
had the leafs reset and was not the best so this time
I
brought lowered leafs..
I
have upped the power as of yesterday with a retune with street tune of 415rwks and 444rwks for dyno time will tell if axels bend or not..
  • I am dissatisfied with my current employment situation
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 9d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Wasnt there an anti tramp kit for utes?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 15y 2m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

I had a 20mm rear sway bar added in the rear and this pretty much stopped all axle tramp, that's with reset leafs too not new lowered leafs

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...