Job Cuts, Where The Hell Are We Headed....

Dagabond

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 10d

I'm officially a statistic.

Anyone need the services of a Toolmaker/Shift Supervisor/Engineers Assistant...

You know, I had actually been waiting for the day you'd say this. Your company seemed to be laying off people every six months and your team was getting smaller and smaller so I thought it was only a matter of time.

Hopefully you get something new quickly :spoton:

• Member For: 12y 6m 23d

Also a statisitic now, although mine is a bit different, the boss says he is down sizing, but more to the point I have realized how much of a sh*t industry diesel mechanics are, apparently there is no such thing as mates or loyalty.

Ah well withing half an hour I had an interview with Gibson motorsport. So back to racing I go

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3d

There's no room for mates or loyalty in business. It's got nothing to do with the industry you're in.

• Member For: 12y 6m 23d

Yeh I guess I have morals, and even though it might sound dodgey, but if something f*cks up or a mistake is made where the problem can be fixed easily without the boss finding out I will do that, not these guys, straight away on the phone dobbing, and since I'm not one to do that I have even been blamed for jobs I didn't even work on.

ah well blessing in disguise

• 3 weeks later...
  • Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 5m 15d

I swear we are all fckd...unless you like digging dirt in the dead center....

Holden to axe 500 jobs

A $275 million taxpayer subsidy has failed to prevent another round of job cuts at Holden's Australian operations, with the car maker slashing 500 positions today.

Holden announced it will cut its Elizabeth workforce north of Adelaide by 400, with a further 100 jobs to be lost from its product development workforce in Victoria.

The car maker blamed a fall in demand for its locally-made Cruze car and difficult market conditions, including the strong Australian dollar.

The announcement comes a year after the Gillard government committed $215 million to the company to “secure” its Australian car-making operations, with an additional $60m from the South Australian and Victorian governments.

South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill said the company's job cuts were “inconsistent” with the agreement struck in 2012, and the government may withhold its payment of $50m in taxpayer funds

“The decision that has been taken today is absolutely inconsistent with the agreement we reached and has not been in any sense foreshadowed to us,” Mr Weatherill said.

“I am angry...that there was no indication that a decision of this sort was imminent.”

The Premier said there were minimum employment guarantees as part of the $50m contributed by the South Australian government.

Holden general manager Mike Devereux said the job cuts were a response to a reduction in demand for the Cruze small car, “led by the high Australian dollar, combined with one of the most open and competitive car markets in the world”.

`This is a very difficult decision because people and their families are involved,” he said.

“A workforce reduction is always the last resort.”

Holden said the staff cuts would be met through voluntary redundancies, and would be completed by August.

The restructure will mean Holden building 350 cars per day from August, instead of the 400 cars it currently produces during each eight-hour shift.

Holden said this would align production levels with current market demand.

Mr Devereux said many of Holden's problems were out of its control but declined to directly respond to questions on whether or not the assembly plant in Adelaide was under threat of closure.

He said the strength of the local dollar made manufacturing in Australia 60 per cent more expensive today than it was 10 years ago.

Industry Minister Gary Gray said the government would continue to work with Holden to ensure car making remained “sustainable.”

“The Gillard government remains committed to the Australian automotive sector and the manufacturing sector more broadly,” Mr Gray said.

“We will work with the industry to ensure it is sustainable in a period where the Australian dollar is very strong, for example trading at parity or higher with the US dollar.”

Australian Manufacturing Workers Union spokesman John Camillo said the job cuts came as a total shock to the union and the workers.

He said he doubted Holden would get enough workers prepared to take voluntary redundancy.

“That's my view. The senior shop stewards have indicated that they think they will get 400,” Mr Camillo said. “But I think it's going to be a bit tough.”

Mr Camillo said the prospect of further job cuts at Holden in the future would depend on local sales of the Commodore and Cruze models.

Coalition industry spokeswoman Sophie Mirabella said the announcement exposed the government's “failed” car industry policy.

“This announcement will once again raise very serious questions about the approach that Julia Gillard and Labor have taken in providing assistance to the car industry,” she said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/holden-to-axe-500-jobs-citing-market-conditions-and-a-fall-in-demand-for-its-cruze-car/story-e6frg6nf-1226615033545

“The Gillard government remains committed to the Australian automotive sector and the manufacturing sector more broadly,” Mr Gray said.

Wanna make a bet Mr Gray...