hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 18/04/12 04:15 AM Posted 18/04/12 04:15 AM I have had a whoop noise from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 3rd under load since the car was new got told by service centre it was standard fare, but of course over the years and with more power added it got bloody annoying. I put 2 tubes of LubeGard into it today and the whoop noise is gone. Also have had a mild squeal, almost like a fanbelt squeal, for a while. When the car was on the hoist today it is coming from the front of the ZF almost like a whistle and when you shut it off it keeps going for a few seconds. Any Ideas? Priced a new one out of interest at for today 14k, a hell of a lot cheaper to rebulid it if need be.
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 25d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 18/04/12 12:12 PM Posted 18/04/12 12:12 PM My F6X ZF auto makes a sort of howl noise (Like the wind howling. that's the best description I can give!) when changing from 1-2 and 2-3 mainly. The noise is really hard to hear from the drivers side but the passenger side it can be heard clear as a bell!I will be getting the gearbox flushed and filled with Transmax Z or Great Western maybe and filter serviced as the car has 88000km now and the gearbox has never been serviced.I'm not sure what it is but hope its nothing costly.Hypnodoc,Is the Lubeguard a friction modifier? Is it safe for the ZF's or you just went for it?
1600dave Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 15y 8m 19d Posted 18/04/12 12:26 PM Posted 18/04/12 12:26 PM I was told by a mate at Bursons, who spoke with a LubeGuard chemist for me, and they said using a dexron 6 & one of their modifier products is fine for the 6HP26.Could be right, but I didn't want to try it.
hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 18/04/12 12:40 PM Author Posted 18/04/12 12:40 PM My F6X ZF auto makes a sort of howl noise (Like the wind howling. that's the best description I can give!) when changing from 1-2 and 2-3 mainly. The noise is really hard to hear from the drivers side but the passenger side it can be heard clear as a bell!I will be getting the gearbox flushed and filled with Transmax Z or Great Western maybe and filter serviced as the car has 88000km now and the gearbox has never been serviced.I'm not sure what it is but hope its nothing costly.Hypnodoc,Is the Lubeguard a friction modifier? Is it safe for the ZF's or you just went for it?Hi BJC. I got the Lube Gard in Perth today, 2 little red tubes and it is apparently used by the gallon in ZF 6 speed. the place I got it from also insisted that the ZF should have the Life Guard oil in it and was a lot cheaper than Ford to buy it from. they seem to know there oils and the Lube Gard has seemed to fix the noises. 1
hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 18/04/12 01:49 PM Author Posted 18/04/12 01:49 PM Hi BJC. I got the Lube Gard in Perth today, 2 little red tubes and it is apparently used by the gallon in ZF 6 speed. the place I got it from also insisted that the ZF should have the Life Guard oil in it and was a lot cheaper than Ford to buy it from. they seem to know there oils and the Lube Gard has seemed to fix the noises.By the gallon by Cabs that run the ZFs I meant to say.
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 25d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 19/04/12 08:15 AM Posted 19/04/12 08:15 AM Cheers mate, will have a look around town for it
hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/04/12 10:19 AM Author Posted 19/04/12 10:19 AM You need the little red plastic tube not the silver bottle, costs about $13. I have found a place to do a full flush using the ZF oil Life Guard and filter for $480 so I am going to do that in the morning.
1600dave Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 15y 8m 19d Posted 19/04/12 10:46 AM Posted 19/04/12 10:46 AM You need the little red plastic tube not the silver bottle, costs about $13. I have found a place to do a full flush using the ZF oil Life Guard and filter for $480 so I am going to do that in the morning.This one?http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Dr.+Tranny+Instant+Shudder+FixxThis is what I was told to mix with DX6, as recommended by LubeGuardhttp://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD+Platinum+Universal+ATF+ProtectantEDIT: http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/2010_LUBEGARD_CC_FINAL.pdfchart recommends either the red or silver bottle with stock fluid, or the silver bottle with DX6.
hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/04/12 11:47 AM Author Posted 19/04/12 11:47 AM This one?http://www.lubegard....nt+Shudder+FixxThis is what I was told to mix with DX6, as recommended by LubeGuardhttp://www.lubegard....+ATF+ProtectantEDIT: http://www.lubegard....RD_CC_FINAL.pdfchart recommends either the red or silver bottle with stock fluid, or the silver bottle with DX6.The top link Dr Tranny's is the one. I put 2 tudes in, but I am going to have a full flush service and filter done in the morning with the proer recommended ZF oil and change the heat exchanger as well, just to be on the safe side
rednose RNS10S Legacy Donating Member 2,229 Member For: 20y 1m 12d Gender: Male Posted 19/04/12 12:02 PM Posted 19/04/12 12:02 PM I am going to have a full flush service and filter done in the morning with the proer recommended ZF oil and change the heat exchanger as well, just to be on the safe sideHypno, you wIll be very happy when you pickup your car after the service.I did this in December, flushed with ZF Lifeguard (took about 13L) replaced heat exchanger and plastice lines.It got rid of the 3rd - 4th squawk and it shifts so much nicer.I will be servicing with Lifeguard every 25,000 from now on.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now