Zf Squeal

hypnodoc

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 26d

I have had a whoop noise from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 3rd under load since the car was new got told by service centre it was standard fare, but of course over the years and with more power added it got bloody annoying. I put 2 tubes of LubeGard into it today and the whoop noise is gone. Also have had a mild squeal, almost like a fanbelt squeal, for a while. When the car was on the hoist today it is coming from the front of the ZF almost like a whistle and when you shut it off it keeps going for a few seconds. Any Ideas? Priced a new one out of interest at for today 14k, a hell of a lot cheaper to rebulid it if need be.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 21d

My F6X ZF auto makes a sort of howl noise (Like the wind howling. that's the best description I can give!) when changing from 1-2 and 2-3 mainly. The noise is really hard to hear from the drivers side but the passenger side it can be heard clear as a bell!

I will be getting the gearbox flushed and filled with Transmax Z or Great Western maybe and filter serviced as the car has 88000km now and the gearbox has never been serviced.

I'm not sure what it is but hope its nothing costly.

Hypnodoc,

Is the Lubeguard a friction modifier? Is it safe for the ZF's or you just went for it?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 15d

I was told by a mate at Bursons, who spoke with a LubeGuard chemist for me, and they said using a dexron 6 & one of their modifier products is fine for the 6HP26.

Could be right, but I didn't want to try it.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members

My F6X ZF auto makes a sort of howl noise (Like the wind howling. that's the best description I can give!) when changing from 1-2 and 2-3 mainly. The noise is really hard to hear from the drivers side but the passenger side it can be heard clear as a bell!

I will be getting the gearbox flushed and filled with Transmax Z or Great Western maybe and filter serviced as the car has 88000km now and the gearbox has never been serviced.

I'm not sure what it is but hope its nothing costly.

Hypnodoc,

Is the Lubeguard a friction modifier? Is it safe for the ZF's or you just went for it?

Hi BJC. I got the Lube Gard in Perth today, 2 little red tubes and it is apparently used by the gallon in ZF 6 speed. the place I got it from also insisted that the ZF should have the Life Guard oil in it and was a lot cheaper than Ford to buy it from. they seem to know there oils and the Lube Gard has seemed to fix the noises.

• Like 1

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members

Hi BJC. I got the Lube Gard in Perth today, 2 little red tubes and it is apparently used by the gallon in ZF 6 speed. the place I got it from also insisted that the ZF should have the Life Guard oil in it and was a lot cheaper than Ford to buy it from. they seem to know there oils and the Lube Gard has seemed to fix the noises.

By the gallon by Cabs that run the ZFs I meant to say.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members

You need the little red plastic tube not the silver bottle, costs about $13. I have found a place to do a full flush using the ZF oil Life Guard and filter for $480 so I am going to do that in the morning.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 15d

You need the little red plastic tube not the silver bottle, costs about $13. I have found a place to do a full flush using the ZF oil Life Guard and filter for $480 so I am going to do that in the morning.

This one?

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Dr.+Tranny+Instant+Shudder+Fixx

This is what I was told to mix with DX6, as recommended by LubeGuard

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD+Platinum+Universal+ATF+Protectant

EDIT: http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/2010_LUBEGARD_CC_FINAL.pdf

chart recommends either the red or silver bottle with stock fluid, or the silver bottle with DX6.

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members

This one?

http://www.lubegard....nt+Shudder+Fixx

This is what I was told to mix with DX6, as recommended by LubeGuard

http://www.lubegard....+ATF+Protectant

EDIT: http://www.lubegard....RD_CC_FINAL.pdf

chart recommends either the red or silver bottle with stock fluid, or the silver bottle with DX6.

The top link Dr Tranny's is the one. I put 2 tudes in, but I am going to have a full flush service and filter done in the morning with the proer recommended ZF oil and change the heat exchanger as well, just to be on the safe side

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 8d

I am going to have a full flush service and filter done in the morning with the proer recommended ZF oil and change the heat exchanger as well, just to be on the safe side

Hypno, you wIll be very happy when you pickup your car after the service.

I did this in December, flushed with ZF Lifeguard (took about 13L) replaced heat exchanger and plastice lines.

It got rid of the 3rd - 4th squawk and it shifts so much nicer.

I will be servicing with Lifeguard every 25,000 from now on.