Dillz Three pedals are better then two.. Legacy Donating Member 15,637 Member For: 19y 4m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 29/12/11 07:05 AM Posted 29/12/11 07:05 AM That's ok mate. I can give it a try but don't like my chances. The car was purchased in Adelaide second hand, was already out of warranty by then. I live in Melbourne. Will speak to Ford anyway and see what they can do.I'm assuming this happened to you under warranty and you got yours replaced ? Are you still running factory heat exchanger?Dillz, did this happen to you twice? What happened the second time and how was it sorted?Nah just once. Second time the part failed again but didn't go into the transmission just straight to the ground, replaced it and good as gold.
rednose RNS10S Legacy Donating Member 2,229 Member For: 20y 1m 21d Gender: Male Posted 29/12/11 07:55 AM Posted 29/12/11 07:55 AM OK there was a write up on AFF from a guy with a TT that had the same issue, it seems that if the hole in the heat excharnge is very small then it may only allow oil to come out of the box but not water into the box (maybe due to the thickness of the oil compared to the water), I would definitely flush the box and replace the heat exchanger (this fixed the TT) or go the external route. You could try and use Gulf Western as its cheaper and people seem to be having good results (also comes in 20L so you could give it a good flush).Good luck and let us know how you go.
xpl0sive Member 421 Member For: 17y 8m 16d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 29/12/11 09:17 AM Author Posted 29/12/11 09:17 AM Thanks mate, will get it checked out. I hope that is the case but I don't like my chances as coolant level in overflow bottle is very low, so I'm guessing the lost water may have gone into my box. I think I might get it towed to ford tomorrow and get them to check the fluid on the hoist. Can't believe a cheap part such as this heat exchanger can cause so much problems!
1600dave Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 15y 8m 27d Posted 29/12/11 09:46 AM Posted 29/12/11 09:46 AM Starting to think I might change my for piece of mind.Someone mentioned the other day in another thread of a mahle brand heat exchanger as apposed to the ktm one, both available from ford (I think).I know the ba's used to do the same thing as it happened to one I was driving, with those when running, trans fluid would be forced into the engines coolant due to higher pressure, then once engine was shut off, the water pressure remains and would then be forced into the box.Came to attention when the engine overheated due to blocked coolant. Still shifted fine. New rad, flush box and engine and was good to go. Not all got away that easy from what I read online though.I doubt the ZF will be that easy either. Fingers crossed mate!!
xpl0sive Member 421 Member For: 17y 8m 16d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 30/12/11 04:29 AM Author Posted 30/12/11 04:29 AM Definitely change it mate, they are a ticking time bomb. It's not a matter of IF it goes, but WHEN. If any other ZF owners are reading this thread and don't have a warranty, then I strongly advise you do the same if you don't want to end up in the mess that I'm in. Ford are obviously aware of the problem as well and don't seem to care enough to do anything about it as its probably cheaper for them to replace boxes than it is to R&D a new heat exchanger. Hopefully in future someone will sort out a proper trans cooler for the ZF and we can get rid of the heat exchanger altogether.On another note, I finally spoke to my tuner and explained my situation and he reckons there's a good chance the box can be fixed based on what I've told him, but he won't know for sure until I get the car into the workshop for them to diagnose it, so once he gets back from holidays I'm gonna get the car towed there and see what can be done. Hopefully it can all be flushed out and the box will be ok.
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 10d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 30/12/11 04:53 AM Posted 30/12/11 04:53 AM Fromt what I have been told is the main damage caused by the water is to the clutch and band linings, they use a water based adhesive to glue them to the metal, water in the box will break this done and they come apart, requiring the rebuild 1
xpl0sive Member 421 Member For: 17y 8m 16d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 30/12/11 05:01 AM Author Posted 30/12/11 05:01 AM Thanks for the info Mick. Doesn't sound good, but I guess it's better than a faulty mechatronics module requiring a new box. I guess I'll find out the extent of the damage once the car is in the shop. Hopefully I've gotten onto the problem in time before any damage was done.
Dillz Three pedals are better then two.. Legacy Donating Member 15,637 Member For: 19y 4m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 30/12/11 05:03 AM Posted 30/12/11 05:03 AM When you think about it it's a pretty primitive system in this day and age..
1600dave Legacy Donating Member 872 Member For: 15y 8m 27d Posted 30/12/11 05:12 AM Posted 30/12/11 05:12 AM A seller on ebay, furious_8, now sells heat exchanger bypass kits, not sure how many people are running them yet though, or of any problems.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-FG-Falcon-4-6-Speed-Automatic-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-/140626000242?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bdf67972#ht_2718wt_934http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-Territory-4-6-speed-Automatic-Oil-Cooler-Bypass-Fittings-/140627057238?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20be069a56#ht_2913wt_934Also sells steel and plastic pan kits, and genuine ZF fluid. Might be worth having a chat to him about his bypass kit!
Dillz Three pedals are better then two.. Legacy Donating Member 15,637 Member For: 19y 4m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 30/12/11 05:35 AM Posted 30/12/11 05:35 AM Those kit's will do the job, I asked him if he can supply one with braided lines and he said he could but it would be a one off and be about $500+
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now