Typhoon As Good As Dead! Help Please :(

Moose

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 4m 4d

Mitch,

Are we are getting the full story here?

Lachlan probably knows more about the electronics of these cars better than anyone in the country, as he developed the XEDE piggyback computer that some of us were running in our cars 8 years ago. I know Lachlan personally, he has tuned my car, and I know he would want to do the best job he can. He has also owned a Ford turbo, and was the first in the country to run a T56 in any BA in the country.

Brian

• Member For: 16y 12d

I don't know what more of the story there would be to tell! The car has 100's of problems that neither my mechanic OR ChipTorque can sort out, what else do I do? The car has a dead spot in mid-range that Lauchlan knew about before sending the car back to my mechanic - now this is just my opinion here, but if he knew the car had problems, why was it given back to me? Or if he couldn't sort it and it left with a poor tune, why did I get charged $700?

All of the above mentioned suspected issues sound good, and hey if it is a bent pin or a f*cked plug then good, it wasn't ChipTorque that f*cked my car and I'll look back on my mechanic - but the facts are as simple as this:

1. Car runs like a bucket of sh*t

2. Has a dead spot in mid range

3. The dead spot in mid range is now like hitting a brick wall, wont rev over about 3500rpm and sounds like the exhaust is farting

4. Dash lights come on under boost (they actually seem to flick on when the tune coughs)

Heres hoping I'll know who to blame after Elite has a look at it - it may be something minor that no one could have picked up and if that's the case then no one is to blame, but as said, there are the facts, what more can I say?

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 10d

Heres hoping I'll know who to blame after Elite has a look at it - it may be something minor that no one could have picked up and if that's the case then no one is to blame, but as said, there are the facts, what more can I say?

Tim and Paul will get you sorted . Elite seem to be cleaning up a few fark ups of late.

My tuner of choice in Brisvegas. Used 6 Tuners across the country and I rate them for what it's worth

Here's hoping - I'm starting to hear more and more good things about them. I just want my damn car back to how it used to be! Might as well drive a bloody barina :(

• Member For: 16y 1m 15d

I don't know what more of the story there would be to tell! The car has 100's of problems that neither my mechanic OR ChipTorque can sort out, what else do I do? The car has a dead spot in mid-range that Lauchlan knew about before sending the car back to my mechanic - now this is just my opinion here, but if he knew the car had problems, why was it given back to me? Or if he couldn't sort it and it left with a poor tune, why did I get charged $700?

All of the above mentioned suspected issues sound good, and hey if it is a bent pin or a f*cked plug then good, it wasn't ChipTorque that f*cked my car and I'll look back on my mechanic - but the facts are as simple as this:

1. Car runs like a bucket of sh*t

2. Has a dead spot in mid range

3. The dead spot in mid range is now like hitting a brick wall, wont rev over about 3500rpm and sounds like the exhaust is farting

4. Dash lights come on under boost (they actually seem to flick on when the tune coughs)

Hi Mitch,

I'm not sure if we have ever spoken before but I've figured who you and your mechanic must be by the decription you've given. Thanks for your enlightening and evocative comments.

For the record from my part,

I have never seen or experienced the fault you describe.

I'm aware that the mechanic has your description of what it's doing but he describes to me that he's not see it light up the dash or cut out as you describe either since the tune.

I don't doubt your symptom. It sounds like loss of battery or earth. The system will lose Vehicle speed or possibly CAN data and will go into one of several "limp mode" versions which may require a key-off reset to clear it. As others said, ensure all the ECU and battery connections are good. Is this the Ex-Police vehicle? Was there any other wiring changes to the vehicle or has the battery been remote mounted?

I'm happy to have a look at your vehicle at our first opportunity or I'm sure Paul at Elite will have a look at such items or the tune for you if he is closer and easier to get to. As I said, I have never seen what you are describing and the only logged codes I saw when the vehicle arrived here were for Vehicle speed error.

I hope you get it sorted or give us a PM or phone call.

Cheers

Lachlan

ChipTorque

Oh, and BCL, thanks for the kind words. It's always possible we've missed something in the tune as we are all human after all, but the symptom Mitch described doesn't seem to match that. It sounds more like wiring to me. Happy to be proved wrong if that isn't the case. I've been doing this long enough to have seen my share of evocative comment on forums.

Hi Mitch,

I'm not sure if we have ever spoken before but I've figured who you and your mechanic must be by the decription you've given. Thanks for your enlightening and evocative comments.

For the record from my part,

I have never seen or experienced the fault you describe.

How? The very second I drove the car out of the workshop and put my foot down, the dash light up, then it coughed and spluttered. Since then, its doing it consistantly every time, and now the cough and splutter is surging and rocking back and forth. How did this not happen on your dyno? Or how did it go unnoticed?

I'm aware that the mechanic has your description of what it's doing but he describes to me that he's not see it light up the dash or cut out as you describe either since the tune.

Not hard to jump in the car and come for a drive, damn thing does it EVERY TIME.

I don't doubt your symptom. It sounds like loss of battery or earth. The system will lose Vehicle speed or possibly CAN data and will go into one of several "limp mode" versions which may require a key-off reset to clear it. As others said, ensure all the ECU and battery connections are good. Is this the Ex-Police vehicle? Was there any other wiring changes to the vehicle or has the battery been remote mounted?

The battery is swapped to the other side, but it has since been wired in properly, strapped down, extra earth etc etc - another $400 down the drain to try fix the problem. A ford mechanic had a look at it, did some diagnostics and checks, all looked to be ok from what he was able to check at the time (granted he didnt go right over it with a fine toothed comb). Yes its an ex cop car, but I had none of these problems prior to the engine being replace / retune.

I'm happy to have a look at your vehicle at our first opportunity or I'm sure Paul at Elite will have a look at such items or the tune for you if he is closer and easier to get to. As I said, I have never seen what you are describing and the only logged codes I saw when the vehicle arrived here were for Vehicle speed error.

I'd have sent the car back down to you, had I thought you wanted to look at it - the feeling I got was "It has problems, oh well" - and maybe that's not your fault and there's been a communication break down, but whats done is done.

I hope you get it sorted or give us a PM or phone call.

Cheers

Lachlan

ChipTorque

Oh, and BCL, thanks for the kind words. It's always possible we've missed something in the tune as we are all human after all, but the symptom Mitch described doesn't seem to match that. It sounds more like wiring to me. Happy to be proved wrong if that isn't the case. I've been doing this long enough to have seen my share of evocative comment on forums.

The quick run down of all this is, that the very second I got the car back, it was nothing like it should be. It only made 280kw, when the last time it was down there (with a sick half dead f*cked motor mind you) it made 310kw. It instantly ran like crap, the very first drive when I picked the car up, the dash light up and it coughed and spluttered - I dont understand how you missed this OR why the car was given back to me in such a poor state.

As I've said, if Elite find a wiring problem and that was the case then fine, I'll just be glad someone actually found it. If its tune related then you'll hear from me.

Guest newl
  • Guests
The very second I drove the car out of the workshop and put my foot down, the dash light up, then it coughed and spluttered.

The obvious question that springs to my mind is why did you immediately not take it back to allow the issue(s) to be resolved?

The obvious question that springs to my mind is why did you immediately not take it back to allow the issue(s) to be resolved?

Come on now... This is exactly what I did. Well, it was the next day due to my work commitments.

When I took the car back the next day, that's when the "Yeah he knew it had an issue in mid range" was said. My mechanic chased up a few things which ended up being no good. It then went to another mechanic that my mechanic knows, he was able to show me heaps of fault codes, but couldn't fix it. I've spent over a month (and $1500) since getting the car back trying to fix it, going from various mechanics and even to Ford, and as said, it was my understanding that ChipTorque knew the car was doing what it was doing but they couldn't fix it/work out what was causing the problem.