Fg Service Schedule

Epic XR6

• Member For: 13y 22d

Ok, so I've read way too much about oil. (engine oil sticky thread)

Got a FG XR6t with 5,500kms on the clock and trying to sort out a service schedule.

People say 15,000kms is way too long to wait, So I was thinking fine I'll do an oil change myself every 7,500kms (in between ford ones)

Now went to autobarn today for some oil was going for the Royal Purple 10W-40 $100 per 5L bottle.......

Had second thought's and left to think about it more.

Checked out the Royal Purple website tonight and they are recommending up to 20,000km's service interval's.

So now im thinking ok get the Royal Purple 10W-40 change it asap. ($200 outlay need more than 5L's)

Next service at Ford 15,000kms buy some more Royal Purple and get them to change it using my oil and then just repeat using the ford recommended interval's at 15,000kms.

What do you guys think?

Is it better to use a lesser quality oil more often or a better one for longer interval's?

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 24d

I've been thinking the same mate, 15 feels to long. Royal Purple is the bizz and I think better quality oil is always the way to go.

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 30d

If you're using a quality full synthetic oil and are doing only 15000kms or less in a year, then the 7500km oil change is just a waste of money.

If you are doing more than 15000kms a year then change it at 15000kms.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m

I do mine with elf excellium 5w40 (full syn) every 7500km. I do between 10-15000km. I change it cause I do give it alot of spirited driving and the temp variation here is another factor in my mind.

Still comes out pretty golden so it isnt breaking the oil down which is a good thing.

• Member For: 20y 8m 13d

I think the main reason for changing the oil more regularly in these turbo Falcons is to stop the oil feedline filter blocking. Your oil quality and life is going to depend highly on how you drive your car and how hot the oil gets. I've decided myself that I will continue to use the 15w40 LPG Ford suggests but change it every 5000ks. Obviously the better the quality of oil and the more you change it the better protection you have but you have to find a happy medium.

Benny

• Member For: 13y 22d

Ok guys, Thanks for all your input.

Decided to go with the Royal purple and change it this weekend (@ 6000kms'ish) (inc $250)

Then getting ford to do my servicing @ 15,000km's with my oil.

And then again @ 30,000kms and so on.

But just before this ^ service I'll get an oil sample kit from work (around $30 I think inc lab testing and report) to suss how the oil is doing, this should tell me the real story.

Ill post up my results. (but it will be a while)

BTW omg turbo falcons are freaking win!!!! Loving it atm.

• Member For: 17y 7m 18d

I have over years have had the opportunity to attend oil company seminars with both Mobil and Penzoil.

Both of those companies would tell you that oil doesn't last that long. I would even say Royal Purple doesn't last that long.

This not because one is better than another or anything like that, but oil is designed to carry contaminants,because manufacturers are demanding this so it reduces exhaust emissions.

So knowing that is demanded of the oil,it can only suspend so much before it rendered inadequate to cope with the task of lubrication and carbon deposits start forming as breakdown occurs.

5-7 km is deemed to be maximum life. Car manufacturers don't really car about the long term damage done to your engine, they want to show a cheap service schedule but after warranty your on your own, also most of us are demanding much more with spirited driving and power up grades.All the more reason to change your oil at least every 7500 km.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 27d

I wish I had a hoist at home...

And I want my car to stay dumped, but I'll be f*cked if I can get it up any ramps...

I change mine every 7,500... Only do 10,000kms a year... I use Nulon 10/40 fully syn and haven't had a problem. Half the price of royal purple...