The Alice Springs To Sydney Nightmare

• Waiting for the 1st N/A 12!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 4d

Well where to start!

We flew into Alice Springs a week ago today arriving right on lunch.

The chap that I had purchased to the car off had met us at the airport and we simply drove back to his place and then did the handover and we were on our way.

1st stop was to be Coobey Pedy which we made by about 7.30pm Sunday night, all was going well and car was strong and smooth.

Monday morning we set off with lunch stop in Port Agusta planned, well we roll into Port Agusta around midday and grab some V power from Shell PA and then proceed to drive 300 meters down the road and find a pub for where we had lunch.

NOW! I get back in the car kick her over and a loud ticking noise is present, turn it off and back on and yep there it is again. :bangcomputer:

Now I'm starting to freak it so I jump on the phone to track down a Ford dealership in PA to which we limp the car to (about 3 kms from the pub). The mechanic comes out and we kick her over and he utter's "Oi" which I didn't like the sound of.

So down the workshop we go, he throws the scan tool on guessing prior to diagnostic that I've over revved it, but no DTC's apart from an O2 which was nothing.

Ok so off comes the rocker cover and the searching begins, they only have 30 mins to start on her before the whistle will blow for end of the day.

Anyways we find some accom in PA and stay the night, get in the morning and I rip back to F|ord to get an update. As I walk into the workshop and approach the front of the car the mechanic pops his head up and says, "good news mate that noise has F**ked off". I'm like yeah baby, but what was it? He then proceeds to tell me that he thinks is was a lifter that had an airlock in it and that this may have been a result of the last guys who serviced it not putting the right grade of oil in it.

So he now says all we have to do now is drop the oil, throw and new oil filter on her and you'll be on your way.

So down from the hoist she comes we jump in her and take her for a blocky just to see all is good, well within 300 meters of rolling out the workshop the noise is back and this time it's sometimes a double tick dropping back to a single tick.

I'm guttered, and looking at the Mech and he's like WTF! He then says mate I think we'll have to throw some lifters at her and I'm like yeah mate lets do it!

But NO FORD Melbourne have to approved such things before they can start such a massive task of swapping some lifters. I then get a call from the dealership asking for a full service history for the car, I'm like do you realize that I've owned the car less then 24 hours(cars done 20,000kms)! At this stage I'm becoming quite concerned that this trip is becoming a bit of a nightmare.

I speak to the service manager and he advises that even if all goes to plan that he can't see my car being repaired until Friday 31st NYE as its 3 day transit for any parts that they need.

So being Tuesday now and 3pm it's another night to be spent in PA, but we have been able to find a bus service that will take us down to Adelaide. So morning rolls around and were on the bus at 0700 with a 4 hours trip ahead of us. We get into Adelaide just before lunch locate some cheap flights that night back to Sydney and walk around Adelaide for half a day (man there seems to be a hot chick overpopulation problem in Adelaide ATM).

We get our flight which mind you was delayed due to mechanical problems (seemingly can't win a trick) and arrive back into Sydney 9.30 Wednesday night!

So Thursday morning I'm straight onto my local ford dealer and he basically demands that I get the car to him and under no circumstances leave it with the PA cowboys to play with. :icon_ford:

So on the phone I get hold of CEVA Car Carriers and they advise me the car won't move till next Wednesday after lunch and won't be in Sydney until Friday 7th and it costs me $800 out of my own pocket to get this done.

So hopefully by the 2nd week of January I might have my new car back, I just can't believe my luck with this car. :censored:

Anyone want to have a stab as to what this ticking is?

Early money is on lifters or a flex plate!

Anyways I hope you all have merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Veva

Edited by Vevapower
  • Like 1

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 21d

How long did you stop for lunch? An hour or two? I doubt the lifters would bleed out that quickly.

An old car of ours had a stuffed lifter (320 thou) and it would only 'tick' once left over night. It didn't do it all the time though, but that was just because of the stroke the engine stopped on once shut down.

Whatever it is, I hope you get it all sorted!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 1m 30d

Oh man, that sucks! Feel for ya.

I'm presuming you purchased a FG? Have you spoken to the previous owner about the problem?

Hopefully the new year brings you better luck.