ugy Legacy Donating Member 199 Member For: 20y 11m 8d Location: Auckland Posted 09/01/10 10:49 PM Posted 09/01/10 10:49 PM (edited) Hi guys, I have an annoying vibration when I am idling, but as soon as I rev the engine it goes away. I also have the same problem when I am cruising but as soon as I accelerate over the 100ks on a private road it goes away also.I am leaning towards the exhaust but have had a look underneath and can't see it hitting anywhere.Would appreciate any suggestions on what it may be so I can check it out. Cheers Bill Edited 09/01/10 10:51 PM by ugy
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 9d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 10/01/10 12:03 AM Posted 10/01/10 12:03 AM Manual/auto Could be clutch rattle.
seventytwo Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel. Legacy Donating Member 5,368 Member For: 21y 2m 21d Gender: Male Location: The 8th Dimension Posted 10/01/10 12:23 AM Posted 10/01/10 12:23 AM Possible engine mount
ENVYOSXR Loves boost Legacy Donating Member 266 Member For: 17y 3m 27d Gender: Male Location: VIC Posted 10/01/10 03:53 AM Posted 10/01/10 03:53 AM Mine rattles on idle as well, its either heat shielding or clutch rattle on mine. Getting a new clutch in a few weeks see if it goes away. Maybe check the heat shielding around the exhaust they are prone to rattle
ugy Legacy Donating Member 199 Member For: 20y 11m 8d Location: Auckland Posted 10/01/10 07:28 AM Author Posted 10/01/10 07:28 AM (edited) It's an auto. I have a pit in the garage and have been under the car when it was idling and had my hand on the engine cross member and gearbox cross member and no vibration on them at all. Soon as I put my hand on the engine I can feel a vibration which transfers to the body of the car. I would think if it was a busted mount on the engine or gear box you would feel it through the cross member. Also there is no rattle or noise just a vibration. Edited 10/01/10 07:30 AM by ugy
bluprinturbo Legacy Donating Member 605 Member For: 18y 4m 17d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 10/01/10 11:10 AM Posted 10/01/10 11:10 AM flexplate?
400KwXr6t Member 129 Member For: 19y 1m 12d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 10/01/10 11:20 AM Posted 10/01/10 11:20 AM If it goes away at 100kph have you tries holding it in lower gears at the same rpm? Should be near 2000rpm off the top of my head. That may narrow the search down a bit, ie isolate the engine.Is the vibration the same when cruising as when idleing (if that's how you spell it)?I know mine has a erattic idle and stalls very rarely. (its hard to explain things in words/text when your describing noise/vibration etc)Just thinking if the vibration is in driveline or in wheels/suspension does your steering wheel vibrate?
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 9d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 10/01/10 11:27 AM Posted 10/01/10 11:27 AM Does it feel like it happens with the aircon on or off?Could be something out of balance somewhere.
berzerker Legacy Donating Member 767 Member For: 18y 9m 8d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 10/01/10 12:04 PM Posted 10/01/10 12:04 PM I had a similar sounding rattle that disappeared when I accelerated. it turned out to be loose exhaust mount, so check youre exhaust properly. I got someone to rev different ranges then that's when I noticed it.
ugy Legacy Donating Member 199 Member For: 20y 11m 8d Location: Auckland Posted 11/01/10 01:12 AM Author Posted 11/01/10 01:12 AM I had a new exhaust put on and the gearbox recoed about the same time. The flex plate could be the problem or I heard that the torque converter can vibrate and sometimes needs to be shifted around one hole.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now