Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 14d
  • Gender: Male
Posted (edited)

I think it would pay to remember that Ford didn't design the shifter with track work in mind. At best, it gives the driver a choice over his gears while climbing a twisty mountain road or alike. Its only plastic, don't be fooled into thinking your xr6 NA is a built track weapon... its a family car, and designed with that in mind. It sounds like you need to engineer or find a race-spec shifter mechanism to put up with the track-workout.

OR buy a manual like you should have.

Edited by seduced
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 15d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Melbourne
Posted

Didn’t realise a compression lockup would be possible. These things are supposed to only change down if by selecting the lower gear it will not force the engine over the rev limit.

It is entirely possible. I did it last week coming down Arthurs Seat into a corner.

Mine seems to have an overly sensitive downshift, but what I would assume be a normal upshift. On this occasion I wanted 2nd and shifted into it, but there was a bump in the road and I moved the shifter like 1mm and ended up in first with a lockup mid corner, and it didn't over rev. One of those totally unexpected things.

Always meant to take the shifter apart and see if it can be made to be less sensitive, as I've been caught out before.

I remember someone saying the 4 speeds used like a hall effect sensor for manual shifting. I wonder if the ZF's use the same or a microswitch.

If they are just connected by wires, I'd expect you could just swap the wires to each switch/sensor, which would reverse the shift action.

Guest XR09
  • Guests
Posted

OK

1. No the car is not a track car and it was never intended to be, it's my company car. Or more so my teenagers and her friends taxi.

2. I do a bit of work at the track and Mnt Cotten.

Before you do any class you sweep the track. Really simple choice, I can wait at the pits and do inspections on the punters bikes to make sure thier legal or I can go sweep the track. Now I can get my ass on a bike and go for a ride round or I can (but not meant to) go grab my new car and have some fun. Remembering I will have my ass on the bike all bloody day.

I am 48 this weekend and well simply, I hurt.

I had an off in august this year, Dislocated the elbow, never done that before, but god that hurts. Cracked the forearm and twenty stiches in the shin. Ever whacked a tow bar. Times that by about ten. And I still cant play golf or tennis.

So that's it I am retiring. I have been trying to for the last four years anyway.

And no it did not happen on the track, nothing valient like that, I was doing my postie job and got slammed. Ten a year of us get taken out. It's the sixth most dangerous job in the country. But it beats a real job.

I bought a bit of a lemon of a FG All of my problems and complaints/dissapointments have come back to fit and finnish. There is no way in hell that car got a new ICC, I pulled the center console out last night looked at the shift and thought I dont have a clue and I am way too tired to do anything now anyway. So I got the shoites and hit it a few times with the torch I had in nmy hand. Put it back together and went to bed for two hours sleep before going back to work.

The bloody thing works fine today. It changed about half way through the throw, either way up or down.

I have thrashed the living daylights out of this thing, AT WORK and it has never failed once, The steering has stayed true and an even weight and I have had this poor thing flat out and screaming round there and there are is only one back strait. For up to eight laps. An SV6 is stuffed after six.

The temp has only once just gone over half way. The brakes have gone ut still bite enough and the pedal has never hit the floor. The fluid well it was changed.

It really is a great car, and with a few suspension and exterior/interor mods it is a fantastic car. I was going to do the motor and drive train up. But I dont drive hard on the road. And yep it's not a track car. And really for mine and its only for mine, nothing compares to the feeling of speed like a bike does. Or the feeling of unity, that the bike really does just become an extension of you.

I have bagged this car repeatedly, and I appologize for that. I am led to believe that the newer ones are a better finnish ??? Not paint wise anyway. Cmon Ford I would pay five large more for at least just one shade of blue on my car. ie spray the bloody engine bay with the clear coat if you are going to put the metalflake in it. And get rid of the orange peel.

  • Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 7m 14d
  • Gender: Male
Posted

Cool.

So you are happy with it now?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 2m 3d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Watsonia
Posted

haha,

So when using your auto as a manual you get upset about the gear changes you make on rough roads... :fool: = use it as an auto; it holds the gear, and changes almost instantly anyway..

This thread ended with complaints about poor fit and finish.. but bashing it with a torch is what fixed the tight tolerance.. that is irony yeah?

P.S. get a manual.. :3gears:

  • Go Pies!!!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 7m 24d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vic Somewhere - Sometimes NSW
Posted

Must agree with the others...

Im a yes for forward to down shift and back for up...

the way it is, is how I think it should be - sh*ts me when I drive a car that's around the other way...

im going fast I want to knock it as I go faster, not need to push it!

:buttrock:

Guest XR09
  • Guests
Posted (edited)

Then how do you match the revs on the down changes if you just Knock it ? They will lock up if you drop too early, same as a manual.

Why get a manual, when this auto is working right its bloody better. You can blip the downchanges and your left foot is free. I tried a manual. I liked the auto as the car is a taxi and I have to get from the sunshine coast to the other side of Brisvegas.

But it's horses for courses

And I do like th way it shifts now, well I did before I just hated the fact that a bump could change you down. Everyone drives with thier hand on thier Knob at some stage lol

and yes life is totally ironic.

Edited by XR09
  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

:locked:

I think this has run its course

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...